Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Accessing distributor cap to change camshaft position sensor

Customer Question

Accessing distributor cap to change camshaft position sensor in a 2004 gmc savanna
Is it from inside of van by removing engine cover or is it from hood side of engine
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Just so I can be sure on what engine this has, can you post the engine liter size of this model here for me?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
2500
4.8
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

O.k.,the rear engine cover or dog house does need removed to access this sensor.If you in fact do have a 4.8 liter engine then the sensor is installed at the very rear of the block as shown below.There will be 4 bolts or nuts or straps that need released to release the dog house and possibly a center console compartment as well which will be held in with nuts and bolts to then remove the dog house to access and replace this sensor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8wifs4ih8aif0n/cam-11-10.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete