Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali that I bought new in 2005.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali that I bought new in 2005. Starting in about 2009, sometimes It will not start, all of the lights/gauges/etc come on but I have to try the key 3 or 30 times before the engine turns over. I've just been living with that problem all this time because the dealership/mechanic can't figure it out. Over the last two weeks, the battery is dead every other day and I have to get a jump. The battery is new (only 7 months old). Computer doesn't read any error codes - battery and alternator fine. I'm frustrated.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: That's everyone's solution. I have replaced the battery SOOOOOOO many times. And one day or one week later, same thing.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've taken it to the dealership for the intermittent no start problem, but they can't duplicate or find the problem. I dropped it off with a local mechanic today to see if he can make any headway. Just thought I would look around online,,,,looks like there are a whole bunch of people with the same issue. And a million different things it could be.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. Thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

With your vehicle, we need to do some testing. do you have a meter?
The test I would do is this. Open the door and use a screwdriver to trigger the latch so the truck thinks the door is closed. Open the hood and remove the cover for the fuse block. Take the meter and set it on direct current amps. Remove only the negative battery cable. If you have two batteries, remove both cables from the other battery. Get a 10 amp fuse and for a moment, connect the battery cable to the battery using the fuse in between. If that you does not blow, it is safe to proceed with the rest of the test. Place the positive lead of the meter on the negative battery cable itself. Place The negative lead of the meter into the negative battery post or terminal. Your meter should start reading a drain and it may be as high as 5 A. Wait 10 minutes for the reading to settle down. Optimum reading is 0.030 A. Start removing fuses one at a time and watch the reading. Remove every fuse and record the fuse or fuses that drop the drain below 0.030 A. Be sure to remove the fuses in every fuse block. Can you test and let me know what fuse makes it stop. Then we can narrow it down from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would attempt these tests, but the car is currently with the mechanic. I'll let you know once I hear back from him today.

OK, that sounds like a plan.
A couple notes for him to look at, check wiring under the fuse block under the hood, this is a common place for rodents to nest.
check battery grounds on the block and such.
Unplug anything aftermarket like a remote stater or such to rule those out.