Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Changed BTSI solenoid and shifter stills occasional sticks

Customer Question

changed BTSI solenoid and shifter stills occasional sticks and makes a grinding noise
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: it's coming from the BTSI solenoid when I hear the sound the shifter only shifts from Park to reverse with no gear. I wait afew minutes then it works right again
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2000 Yukon denali
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just changed out the brake transmission interlock sloenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 30 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
ready to work
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 29 days ago.

Did I understand correct that the noise is coming from the BTSI solenoid?

Once out of park are you saying reverse and drive will not engage and move the vehicle?

Condition of the trans oil, color, level, odor?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
just changed it out last week.(BTSI). Will not on occasion shift from park and reverse on the shifter. But does not go into reverse or any other gear. wait a few minutes then it shifts normal again. Oil level is good, color is normal and no odor

Do these issues only occur with the vehicle cold or can it also occur on a restart after going into a store for example?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
was doing it once it got hot. I changed the BTSI solenoid and problem went away. Now it sometime grinds when shifting (only when it hot and will not shift). Is there an adjustment needed to BTSI when changing it out.

There is no adjustment needed when replacing the BTSI and it is only used when shifting from park. SO far I believe your having a concern with the shift linkage out of adjustment causing both the BTSI and transmission issues. Can you check that prior to us digging deeper?

.

Thanks for letting me help you & for leaving me a ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~rating when ready. Rating results in the website paying me from the question fee you have already paid. Although I appreciate customers saying "Thank You" that alone does not result in me being compensated if you were pleased.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
There was no problems with the linkage before. Shifter was stuck in park. How would the linkage cause it to sometime not be released from park?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 26 days ago.

Since the linkage is not the issue this means we now need to do electrical tests at the BTSI when not working. Do you own a volt ohm meter?

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 25 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris