Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Can I rewire a variable wiper speed motor to be controlled

Customer Question

can I rewire a variable wiper speed motor to be controlled from a lever switch that only has off /low /high positions..
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 1989 gmc 1500
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1500.. yes i have broken all 4 input wires to the motor accept the black ground and tried to cross them to get a connection.. just pop the fuse no luck...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I havent tried this myself but what it looks like you would need to do or provide to the wiper motor is:

Black wire is ground at all times key on or off

Purple wire is power only when you want wipers in high speed

Orange wire needs power when all others do not have power to put the wipers into park position to turn them off

Grey wire needs power only when in low speed position.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete