Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

Help with 2003 GMC Envoy trying to install aftermarket head

Customer Question

Help with 2003 GMC Envoy trying to install aftermarket head unit having issues due to aftermarket stereo wiring harness not proper it is an adapter but not exact for Bose stereo but aftermarket hu turns on and functions but no sound
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you do not have the correct adapter for this year and model to adapt the head unit to fit your model here this needs obtained and can usually be obtained from a local stereo install facility.This should work to resolve this issue.If this is or was checked and found to be correct let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. Though I was already under the presumption that this harness was necessary to obtain there are many types of wiring harnesses for this vehicle how many different applicable so therefore my question which harness do I need because I've already installed a harness that allows power and retains theft lock light and other options for this vehicle but still no power 2 Amp I believe because there is no sound but CDs play radio doesn't play because I did not purchase the adapter for the in antenna yet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible to continue this session at a later time I'm currently at work will not be available for any kind of talk time or otherwise until close to 9 o'clock a.m. my time currently the time here is 5:55 a.m.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Did you check with an audio install facility to make sure you had the correct harness as well as the complete harness assembly?Usually they can check with your vehicles VIN number to make sure.I know some models do require a special adapter harness and it sounds like you may have a basic adapter harness that isnt quite fully compatible for your model here.

We can continue any time your ready here.

Thanks Pete