Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2003 yukon denali stalls in traffic. We have replaced the

Customer Question

2003 yukon denali stalls in traffic. We have replaced the throttle body, IAC, fuel pump. It quit stalling when we left the gas cap off. It started stalling in traffic again today. what could be the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- you need to check the evap canister on the fuel tank ,in case the evap tank pressure solenoid no opening to release pressuer

2- have you hand it scanned and retrieved fault codes .scanner will show the evap code fault if it is the issue

3- A vacuum leak , Mass air flow sensor & CKP (Crank Shaft Position Sensor )

4- what is the mileage on it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
204,000 miles, we replaced the Mass air flow sensor and the CKP. The check engine light does not come on and it has no codes. This morning it is stalling all over the place even with the gas cap off

check the purge solenoid valve

this how the system works ,check all components

EVAP SYSTEM OPERATION The evaporative emission (EVAP) control system limits fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel tank vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the vapor pipe, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the canister absorbs and stores the fuel vapors. Excess pressure is vented through the vent line and EVAP vent solenoid to the atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores the fuel vapors until the engine is able to use them. At an appropriate time, the control module will command the EVAP purge solenoid ON, allowing engine vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister. With the EVAP vent solenoid OFF, fresh air is drawn through the vent solenoid and the vent line to the EVAP canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge pipe and EVAP purge solenoid into the intake manifold to be consumed during normal combustion. The control module uses several tests to determine if the EVAP system is leaking. Large Leak Test This tests for large leaks and blockages in the EVAP system. The control module commands the EVAP vent solenoid ON and commands the EVAP purge solenoid ON, with the engine running, allowing engine vacuum into the EVAP system. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor voltage to verify that the system is able to reach a predetermined level of vacuum within a set amount of time. The control module then commands the EVAP purge solenoid OFF, sealing the system, and monitors the vacuum level for decay. If the control module does not detect that the predetermined vacuum level was achieved, or the vacuum decay rate is more than a calibrated level on 2 consecutive tests, DTC P0455 will set. Small Leak Test The engine off natural vacuum (EONV) diagnostic is the small-leak detection diagnostic for the EVAP system. While previous leak detection methods were performed with the engine running, the EONV diagnostic monitors the EVAP system pressure or vacuum with the key OFF. Because of this, it may be normal for the control module to remain active for up to 40 minutes after the engine is turned OFF. This is important to remember when performing a parasitic draw test on vehicles equipped with EONV. The EONV utilizes the temperature changes in the fuel tank immediately following a drive cycle to use the naturally occurring vacuum or pressure in the fuel tank. When the vehicle is driven, the temperature rises in the tank. After the vehicle is parked, the temperature in the tank continues to rise for a period of time, then start to drop. The EONV diagnostic relies on this temperature change and it's corresponding pressure change to determine if an EVAP system leak is present. The EONV diagnostic is designed to detect leaks as small as 0.51 mm (0.020 inches). The diagnostic can determine if a small leak is present based on vacuum or pressure readings in the EVAP system. When the system is sealed, a finite amount of pressure or vacuum will be observed. When a 0.51 mm (0.020 inches) leak is present, often little or no pressure or vacuum is observed. If the test reports a failing value, DTC P0442 will set. Canister Vent Restriction Test If the EVAP vent system is restricted, fuel vapors will not be properly purged from the EVAP canister. The control module tests this by commanding the EVAP purge solenoid ON, commanding the EVAP vent solenoid OFF, and monitoring the FTP sensor for an increase in vacuum. If the vacuum increases more than a calibrated value, DTC P0446 will set. Purge Solenoid Leak Test If the EVAP purge solenoid does not seal properly fuel vapors could enter the engine at an undesired time, causing driveability concerns. The control module tests for this by commanding the EVAP purge solenoid OFF and the vent solenoid ON, sealing the system, and monitors the FTP for an increase in vacuum. If the control module detects that the EVAP system vacuum increases above a calibrated value, DTC P0496 will set. CHECK GAS CAP MESSAGE he PCM sends a class 2 message to the driver information center (DIC) illuminating the Check Gas Cap message when any of the following occur: - A malfunction in the EVAP system and a large leak test fails - A malfunction in the EVAP system and a small leak test fails EVAP SYSTEM COMPONENTS The EVAP system consists of the following components: EVAP Canister The canister is filled with carbon pellets used to absorb and store fuel vapors. Fuel vapor is stored in the canister until the control module determines that the vapor can be consumed in the normal combustion process. EVAP Purge Solenoid The EVAP purge solenoid controls the flow of vapors from the EVAP system to the intake manifold. The purge solenoid opens when commanded ON by the control module. This normally closed solenoid is pulse width modulated (PWM) by the control module to precisely control the flow of fuel vapor to the engine. The solenoid will also be opened during some portions of the EVAP testing, allowing engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system. EVAP Vent Solenoid The EVAP vent solenoid controls fresh airflow into the EVAP canister. The solenoid is normally open. The control module commands the solenoid ON, closing the solenoid during some EVAP tests, allowing the system to be tested for leaks. Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor The FTP sensor measures the difference between the pressure or vacuum in the fuel tank and outside air pressure. The control module provides a 5-volt reference and a ground to the FTP sensor. The FTP sensor provides a signal voltage back to the control module that can vary between 0.1-4.9 volts. A high FTP sensor voltage indicates a low fuel tank pressure or vacuum. A low FTP sensor voltage indicates a high fuel tank pressure. EVAP Service Port The EVAP service port is located in the EVAP purge pipe between the EVAP purge solenoid and the EVAP canister. The service port is identified by a green colored cap.

check all these vacuum lines for cracks or leaks

and check the solenoid that has power and is working if you give straight power to it

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
If no further assistance is needed, Please kindly rate Me ,Your 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,
You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert
that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Chad, that is not the problem. There are no codes or check engine lights. I am going to try to have the computer flashed. We didn't do that after replacing the throttle body

yes I would do that since no codes I agree , see if the update software version will fix it

keep me update

Chad

did you get flashed ,did it fix it

Please let me know if you need additional help on it

Thank You

Chad