Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

When I use the turn signal the light where the transmission

Customer Question

When I use the turn signal the light where the transmission indicater blinks with it only when the brakes are applied on a 2002 gmc savana van
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: It was changed 6 months ago and level is good
JA: Are you fixing your Savana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I took it to a garage and they told me it was the turn signal switch so I changed it and still have the same problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I use the right or left blinker the opposite one blinks also but very faint
Category: GMC
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 5 months ago.

Hi and thank you for the question. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. After reading your description, it seems to me it's a clear cut case of a poor ground circuit for the turn signals / IP cluster. Now this ground issue my be in the light bulbs themselves (yep a shorted to ground bulb can cause power back feed without blowing a fuse). Another common ground circuit is trailer wiring, assuming there is trailer wiring on your vehicle. To check the bulbs for the culprit, you'll have to remove all turn bulbs and brake bulbs. Replace each one, one by one to see if the issue changes. Also inspect the trailer harness connection. You're looking for corrosion of any kind. I will look up which grounds to inspect...I'll be right back with you

I'd like you to check ground G400 (LR corner of the interior cabin by the D pillar), G401 (RR corner of the interior cabin by the D pillar), and also check G101 which is in the engine compartment by the thermostat (assuming you have a V8)....check these ground for looseness, corrosion or broken wires...let me know the results.