Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

Just replaced pitman arm on 97 suburban 2500 and power

Just replaced pitman arm on 97 suburban 2500 and power steering and brakes are not working. Pump was refilled with fluid before starting. I see no movement of fluid in pump. I let the rig run of 25 minutes with no change.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: no whining, reservoir was filled before starting engine it has been checked since and topped up.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: see first post
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: doing own work

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

if you remove the engine serp belt and then grab the power steering pump pulley with both hands can you pull the pulley out of the pump ?

these are very common to do so which is a shaft failure inside the pump and i am sorry to say the pump needs to be replaced

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do later in day. Thanks

anytime

usually when both are not working the pump shaft has failed

let me know

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do

ok

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Replaced the pump but put the electronic sensor from the old pump on the new. Should the sensor disc in the old pump move as freely as the one in the new pump? It appeared to be jammed in place at the bottom of it's travel. Could that have been the problem?
Everything works well.
Thanks

it usually will move free

it could have been bound up yes causing the issue

so new pump all is well ?

dont forget to rate us here