Joseph Book
Joseph Book, tech
Experience:  Diesel Technician

I have a2006 GMC Denali. Doors will not open with the key

Hi, I have a2006 GMC Denali. Doors will not open with the key fob, I open the door with the key, and the inside lights do not go on. I try to start the truck and it turns over as though it is getting gas, but only briefly, as it then just goes dead. Radio does not work either. But, interior lights will work with the key inserted. Maybe a problem with the anti theft system?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Yes, no help there
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just making sure the battery is fully charged.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the battery in my key fob is very old.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Just changed the battery in my key fob and same result.

Good Morning,

I have to ask a few questions just to make sure I have good base information to go off of.

• What method did you test the battery with, was it load tested or just using a volt meter?
  • Has the vehicle given you any signs of starting issues prior or was this sudden?
  • Are there any lights coming on the dash such as Anti-Theft, do they stay illuminated if they are on.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It is a new battery. Vehicle was running great until about a week ago when I went to start it up and was unable to. Dash lights do come on when I crank it up, they do not stay illuminated. For example, when I try to start it the dash lights all come on as normal, but it does turn over but does not fire up and then it then dies as thought it is not getting gas. The anti-theft light illuminates, but then goes off. Radio does not turn on. (Key fob does not work, doors must be unlocked manually. windows do not work, radio does not work, and interior lights do not illuminate when I open the door, but do illuminate when I try to start the truck)

To me it sounds like a ground issue. the GMCs are notorious for acting up when a ground are loose or inadequate. There are several grounds typically one at the back of the engine block going to the firewall and then the main negative cable. What you have going on is very indicative of a grounding issue. I would suggest unhooking your ground cable off your battery and ohm checking it from the end of the battery to the block and to the starter. You should have less than 1ohm resistance. You can pick up a factory replacement cable for under $75

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay I will try that. Thank you.

let me know if you have any other questions, if you need help sourcing the part please let me know.