Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

I have a GMC Yukon XL Denali and today it started sliding

Customer Question

I have a GMC Yukon XL Denali and today it started sliding (and for the past week, the back end wants to break loose ) and today I stopped and got gas and went to start it, it had a dead battery and positive terminal had alot of corrosion on it. Cleaned off the corrosion and pushed it backwards and somehow it started on its own. when I pushed it backwards it then said "stability system not active" traction control not working and then started. but quite scary. Corrosion all over battery. dont know if that will fix the problem
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have not changed the battery on this truck. Could be original AC Delco. Haven't tested the battery with a voltmeter. Didn't know if that could cause the truck to slide while driving .
JA: What year is your Yukon XL?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just got home.. Not real sure if I want to drive it so haven't done anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Toolhut replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Does your denali have a locking differential?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sam,My card was already billed the $19 but in answer to your question, I dont know.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HelloAre you going to answer my question ?
Expert:  Toolhut replied 4 months ago.

I requested information from you and you have not answered my question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I answered your question.. I dont know if I have a locking differential.
I just know that my back end started sliding, almost hit a wall.. and then couldn't start the vechicle when I went to a gas station. Seemed battery volts were low. Pushed it back and it started. Engine said stability system not active. traction control not working (as noted in my previous conversation). Took it to Auto parts store.. said I need a new battery. Got new brakes, they replaced the rear brakes, changed the oil and I asked for a new battery. They said battery tested fine.
Thats about it but about to take a 2,000 mile trip to the mountains in a week, so unsure of issue.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 4 months ago.

Look in your glove box there should be a label with a bunch of 3 digit codes. Sometimes they are on spare tire cover. Tell the ones the start with F and G

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has been 8 days with rediculous responses.. My truck was "safely undriveable" sliding on the road, as mentioned, and I didn't have time for back and forth questions every 3 days .. with no contact.. and has already been to a mechanic and fixed. I didn't have time for your 2-3 day delay in responses. I have opened a case with my bank for reimbursement for your services.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 4 months ago.

If you are unhappy You need to contact customer service.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Get the vehicle into a shop with a lift and get it up off the ground and the mechanic will check the rear end for being loose using a long pry bar. It's possible if this has rear leaf springs that one of the center pins that holds the rear axle to the leaf springs has broken and the rear axle is loose.