Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2007 GMC Yukon Denali When you turn the key to start it it

Customer Question

2007 GMC Yukon Denali
When you turn the key to start it it will not start but it will keep cranking until you turn the key back off. But then it'll stay fine
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Are you saying it will not start the first time you rank the engine but will the second time you crank the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well it just keeps cranking. I haven't had the courage to let it just keep on cranking but the engine doesn't start. So you turn it back off, then try again and it cranks for half a sec and starts.

The keeps cranking issue, that is normal how it is supposed to work.

Can you tell me all the maintenance steps you have done in the last 70k?

Does this starting issue occur with the engine cold or when restarting when its already hot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i just bought it so I cant say for maintenance except to say it was maintained at the same GMC dealership for every oil change. As for the hot or cold, I dont know. I know as far as ambient temp it is warm.
My issue isn't that it keeps cranking, although it almost sounds like the key is stuck, it is the fact that it will keep cranking and not start. then when you turn the key back off then on again it starts like nothing happened.
it does have a p0442 code too if that means anything.

There is a slim possibility the EVAP solenoid vent valve, your code, is to blame. It can be releasing fuel tank vapors into the intake and effecting the air fuel ratio. I suggest after addressing the EVAP code. You do a tune up and use fuel injector cleaner and clean the MAF sensor. If that does not help then an injector flow test is needed to see if the injectors are leaking and flooding the engine.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with that code do you reccomend changing the Evap solenoid
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Well when I was filling up with gas just now I could hear it sound like it was getting full then it would abate and keep filling them it would sound like it was filling up again. This happened a few times.

Yes I do recommend addressing all codes.

The EVAP system controls the fuel tank vapors.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what would cause that noise that sounded like the filler neck was filling with fuel? would that be the evap purge?

That would be a component in the EVAP system not allowing fuel tank vapors to escape. You should replace the known component that you have faulty form the code first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I go about that?

Sending you an offer that allows me to upload links from GM so you can see how to replace the part.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now I have to pay for files? I pay a subscription already!

It is copyright info and this a public forum. I only share that info in private contact. I can explain it rather than do so with diagrams if that will work for you.