Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a 2002 GMC envoy that overheats if sitting in traffic

Customer Question

I have a 2002 GMC envoy that overheats if sitting in traffic or in park. I have replaced the fan clutch. That worked for about a week but I rarely drove it for very long. First time I drive it over 40 miles from home it does it
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: It's a brand new fan clutch
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A mechanic where I bought it fixed it the first time with my husbands help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's got about 169,000 miles
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by an externally blocked radiator, dirt and debris collect between the radiator and the A/C condensor and restrict the flow of air through it, this is more prevelant when idling, have you removed the radiator and seen if there is alot of debris in it? It is not visible with the radiator installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't moved it. I don't even know how. We just recently bought this envoy like a idiot
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How easy can this be fixed or better yet how costly is this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also how safe is it to drive if I aren't letting it idle
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

if you dont let it idle d , it will be fine, the cost to remove the radiaor and blow it out is about 80 dollars, but dont let it overheat,Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok what about in traffic cause sitting even without ac on the temp start to raise to about 230. It's usually under 210 or about. Is it supposed to go up at all while sitting still and to what temp
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

driving in traffic will make it overheat, so it is not a good idea, this needs to be fixed before you should do any intown driving,Tim