Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Have a 98 jimmy. I put in a new distribution new crank shaft

Customer Question

Have a 98 jimmy. I put in a new distribution new crank shaft sensor new waterpump new spark plug wires. New timming chain before we put on waterpumo test to see if it turned over it did every time find out we need a oil pan gasket so we did that threw everythibf back on tried no spark. Check computer says crank sensor so we change that still no go check computer says same thing. Idk what it would be dont really thing crank sensor cus it was running and firing up everytime. Any insight was thinking maybe pcm but not sure
Category: GMC
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 6 months ago.

When you did the timing chain, did you put the reluctor wheel back on after the timing chain, but before the timing cover?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Didnt mess with that was i to take off the reluctor wheel just had the cover off and used a wrench to out chain on time fired up everytime after we did that. Like i said it fired up everytime till we threw the whole engine back together. The chain was the very first thing we did

Did you have the battery disconnected when you did the oil pan?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did not not was not aware we needed it disconnected. Would that really cause my problem

If you had disconnected the battery, the security system could be the reason for it not to start. Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light to do some testing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah and a computer reader that just says crank shaft sensor and replaced that three times already

Can you check the crank sensor plug and see if you have 12 volts on one of the wire to the sensor with the sensor unplugged and the ignition switch in the run position please.

The pink wire should have 12 volts to it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can once i get home friday :( im just trying to figure out my route on how to tackle this want this project done. So say i do have 12 volts or say i dont then what sir

See what you have and we can go to the next step. I really need to know what the voltage is before I can tell you what or where to go.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12 volts. Question my father has is does the crank sensor need to hit 100% on the wheel cus its only 25 to 50 percent

the tip of the sensor should not touch the reluctor wheel.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That much im aware of sir. Im talking about it beinf over the reluctor wheel

the reluctor wheel is much thinner than the tip of the sensor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so it wouldnt cover the whole sensor as it is. Well then what u think sensor is getting 12 volts. I was thinkinf pcm but not really sure

Can you check all the fuses in both fuse boxes with a test light and make sure they all have power on both sides of them with the ignition switch in the run position.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That i can not say till i get back to town Friday but i will check once i get back. Guess thats as far as u can tell me then uh

Till I have test results, all I can do is guess.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you will let u know once i find out. How do i inform you

just come back to this chat screen and post the results and I will be back with you asap.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did the teat all fuses when on light

Are you saying that all the fuses in both fuse boxes have power on both sides?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Please tell me exactly how you tested them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had key turned on and used a test light

Remember that I am an expert and I know what the readings should be. Now please test all the fuses and tell me what fuses do not have power on both sides of the fuse, and what fuses only have power to one side please.