Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.

1996 GMC sierra 1500, 4.3. Just a basic standard cab pickup.

Customer Question

Went to get my state inspection and they tell me my horn isn't working. News to me, but they are correct. I've checked the relay and it works fine in a different vehicle. The horn blows with voltage applied and I can get it to chirp from the relay box.
Seems like the problem must be from the relay box back to the horn button. a). how can I verify this? b.) how do I remove the horn button/air bag cover.
(To the latter question, I have removed the neg cable from the battery and unscrewed to 2 screws on either arm of the steering wheel. The cover still feels "locked" into place.)
I really don't want to jerry rig a button directly to the horn just to pass the inspection.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The problem may be due to the horn bad and or the slip ring is failing. I would start with grounding the black wire from the horn switch at the horn pad to the horn relay and see if the horn will sound. If it dose then this usually means the horn pad is bad. I have enclosed the steps to remove the pad as well as the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. Have a look and see if this will help you determine the cause.