Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2009 GMC Sierra: Driving down the road the engine shut down

Customer Question

2009 GMC Sierra: Driving down the road the engine shut down and nothing when I turn the key. Everything else works but can not get it to turn over.
Category: GMC
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for the question. When the engine "shut down" did it run rough before it stalled or just shut down? When you try to turn it over, do you hear a click, or no?

I am sorry for your trouble, I'd be more than willing to help.

...when you try to turn it over, are all the dash lights on, as in all power normally? Or are the dash lights off as in a dead battery?

Ok, I know its getting late. I will wait for you reply. Please understand, I'll return a response when I hear back from you. It may not be until tomorrow night, but know I'll respond. Thank you for choosing JA.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it did not run rough just shut down all dash lights work so does the lights radio and blower fan. No there is no clicking when the key is turned.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was surely a waste of my time and money. Another lesson learned.

Are you able to see if there are any diagnostic codes stored?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Code U0100

Any other symptoms at all? Any other items not working, door locks, chime etc...?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no everything else works

Unfortunately, this may be something to bring to a dealer for diagnosis. That code is for high speed LAN communication, One of the modules, most likely the ECM has lost some important communication rendering the engine to stall. It would be extremely difficult if not impossible to diag via online without having the vehicle resent.

I am sorry you are having this type of difficulty. I really wish there was more I could do. Please let me know if I can help at all in the future.