Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

Have 2001 Sierra 1500 2wd with 4.8. oil pressure check light

Customer Question

have 2001 Sierra 1500 2wd with 4.8. oil pressure check light comes on, oil pressure gauge swings from low to about 40 PSI. removed sending unit and checked for screen under gauge. No screen found and chevy dealer said this model does not use the screen. Engine in has in excess of 300,000 miles on it. well maintained. Problem has just started in the last twenty miles or so. When pressure drops lifters make noise then pressure goes back up if engine rpm is increased and may not act up for several hours. Any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

It sounds exactly like the oil pressure relief valve is sticking. They do that sometimes when the piston inside starts to get worn out, (out of round by a few thousand's of an inch).

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****