Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist
279429

My teenager went to jump start my duramax when I was out of

Customer Question

My teenager went to jump start my duramax when I was out of town and reversed the cables. Now the abs and break lights are on, and the check engine light is on, it will start and die till the third attemp to start, and won't come out of first gear. The speedometer also doesn't work. How bad did he f**k it up?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Everytime I see this happens, it is always a blown fuse or multiple fuses that are blown. I would start by checking all fuses inside the vehicle and under the hood. I bet that is going to be the problem. I dont think it will be anything major.. at least based on my experience. Good luck and let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked every fuse, there all good
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then I suspect the ABS issue is due to a bad ABS control module. The Check engine light could be several of things. I would recommend to get the computer scanned for engine and ABS codes and go from there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The abs was fine before, did it short it out?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

YES, it is very possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In your experience, what is the worst case sinario and how much does these parts cost?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

The ABS module would need to be replaced. It costs about 600 to 800 bucks to get it replaced.. parts and labor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the fact the speedo doesn't work and it won't go out of first gear?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

This is related to the transmission control module. This too may need to be replaced. There are codes in the computer that is related to this and those should be diagnosed and fixed. YES, the control module for the transmission could be an issue as well provided all of the fuses are good.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!