Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a 2012 Yukon Denali. A couple of days ago I started

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Yukon Denali. A couple of days ago I started having issues with the radio and the touchscreen. At first, it would not let me change any function on the touchscreen and all I had to do was turn the car off let it sit a minute, turn it back on and everything was good. Now it seems to have gotten a lot worse. The touchscreen is permanently frozen on the screen and none of the options work when trying any function. In addition, none of the buttons on the left or right side work at all (navigation, destination, source, menu or favorites). The power button also does not turn off the radio. I can change the source and volume from the steering wheel but cannot see what options I am selecting since the screen is frozen. It seems to turn on and off during the night so I disconnected the battery last night so it would not drain the battery. I also noticed the dome light does not turn on anymore when opening the door. Any thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: I have not.
JA: What is the model of your '12 GMC?
Customer: Yukon Denali SUV
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just the battery. Only disconnected the positive cable.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, otherwise perfect condition.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You may have a problem with the screen itself. The dome light could be a separate issue. It could be a vehicle settings issue that is off.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and hold them together for 15 minutes. Then reconnect one at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Our shop will send these screens out for repair, we have a reman exchange program for radio and nav unit problems.

Any chance you have less than 36k miles or have an extended warranty?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just disconnected both cables and connected them together. Will let you know what happens shortly. 38,000 miles and no extended warranty.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Some dealers will perform a goodwill repair if you are the original owner since it is so close in mileage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It did not work.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You will probably need to replace the screen itself to correct the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.