rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2002 H2 very clean with 140K...I first started to

Customer Question

I have a 2002 H2 very clean with 140K...I first started to notice when I would brake the truck would take some time to slow down, and I thought it was time to change brakes? All of a sudden the ABS and Brake lights would go on and it would beep a few seconds, I took the truck home and then noticed the battery lights, and a couple of other lights when on and the gauges all stopped working, the Doors wouldn't open, the windows wouldn't go down, but yet I was driving the truck. So as I went to my mechanic, he changed the ball joints in front, but all lights still going crazy, its been 3 going on 4 days at the mechanic shop, I don't think he can figure it out?
Category: GMC
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

What he did for you won't change the issue you're having. You need to have the truck attached to a scan tool to read all the codes that got stored, then the data needs to be read to see values that pertain to the codes/problems. Please keep me posted of those results.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
mechanic said he has no codes come up and had 3 different guys all look at my dash board and they all don't see any problems, and they all agreed to change the computer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Starts the truck and all good, runs it for 20 mins and then all lights on dash go on, and when he shuts it off and turns it back on the trucks is fine then it will happen again...
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Okay, if that's what they confirmed, then go with that. I just like to see more testing done before replacing a computer, but they may have already done it.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
quick question, Ron, if this guy was lazy, and just wanted to change the computer, would this just solve all problems?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Not if the computer isn't bad, no. That's why I say that I exhaust every test possible prior to replacing the computer.

Thanks, Ron