Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

I have an 08 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Using the button, the

Customer Question

I have an 08 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Using the button, the liftgate goes up and the safety lock on the actuator engages. The liftgate can only be closed manually.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the latch assembly a year ago and it worked fine for a few months. Then it started doing this. It goes up, you hear a loud knock and the actuator arm appears to "snap" into place. I just replaced the struts 10 minutes ago thinking the old ones were too weak or not long enough. Same symptom.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with the lift gate control motor itself or the linkage from the motor to the lift gate or more common an issue with one of the sensors that send a signal on what position the lift gate is at.If there is an issue with a sensor sending an incorrect/false signal this can cause a fault like this here in some cases.This will have to be checked over/inspected to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete