KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop owner, tech
Experience:  HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORECTLY.
5629372

I have a 2003 gmc sonoma with a 4.3l engine it is showing a

Customer Question

i have a 2003 gmc sonoma with a 4.3l engine it is showing a p0300p . i have replaced spark plugs cap rotor and wires pcv valve oil and filter air cleaner fuel filter and fuel pump and ignition coil .i had relearn done on csk sensor truck has no driveability issues but vacuum is 16inch at idle fuel pressure is 52psi .i ckd intake and hoses for leaks found none i also tried seaform thru vacuum line at one point fuel trim was at 14
Category: GMC
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a scanner that will give you live data? If so what is the fuel trim for both banks? Does the fuel trim move up and down? What is the lt trim for both banks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i dont have scanner just saw fuel trim when we were hooked to do sensor might be able to take it back but i need to know what more to look for i had an extendsion on my sticker it runs out aug 13
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when scanner was hooked tech running scanner did injector cut out they seemed even

The fuel trim is very important at this point. Do you know if the 14 trim was st or lt trim?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i think trim was lt . i didnt get message last night so ordered regulator and plenum gaskets today hope i am on right path

If the trim is higher then 0, then you have a vacuum leak. If the trim is lower then 0, then you are running rich.If the trim is at 14 Then the the pcm is adding 14% more fuel then the engine needs if everything is working correctly. You need to find the cause of the engine running lean.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i might be wrong but the way i understand the regulator uses vacuum to lower fuel pressure at idle. my fuel pressure is low at idle 52 psi if vacuum was low pressure would be higher

You are correct, but you can still have a vacuum leak around the intake still have enough vacuum to operate the pressure regulator. The engine will create around 20 inlbs of vacuum, the regulator only needs 12-15 inlbs to fully close. So yes you can still have a vacuum leak and the regulator work correctly.

yes your fuel pressure is a little low, the pressure should be between 55-62 at idle. But that will not cause your problem. it is close enough that it should not hurt the way the engine runs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i forgot to mention that i used a can of carb cleaner soaking down intake and lines if you have another suggestion as to how or where to look let me know transfer case is electric

When you hit the brakes wit the engine running, do you hear a hissing noise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i dont hear a hiss but as i had said i order gaskets and regulator dissassembled plenum so when they came i would be ready i think i found a vacuum leak dont know why carb cleaner didnt show it but where spider assembly goes thru plenum looks like oring not in groove its all blown up so parts arrive 8/11 when i get it back together we will know until then i am on hold

I hope that the o ring is your problem. Please let me know how it goes when the

parts come in.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i hope your still waiting i got parts replaced air plenum gaskets and fuel pressure regulator. still get code.used delco cleaner thru fuel rail no still get code order complete intake set installed sealed anything
where vacuum could leak. still get code got a cheap scan tool but it has live data fuel trim is now 5 to 6 warm idling o2 sensors read a little over 5. still get code. vacuum on engine has gone up now warm it is 20hg. i still get code.sometimes i have to drive up to 20 miles to set code . also plugged brake booster and pvc system to be sure any ideas would be welcome
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 3 months ago.

Is there a leak in the rubber boot from the mass air flow to the throttle body ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i never see the long term fuel engine warm and idling more than 5 ore 6 % .it has been as low as 3.1 bank 1 and 0.0 on bank 2 short term normaly 0.0 but switches neg to pos . cannot hear or find leak but noticed boot to throttle body looks like some had siliconed it boot to body someone said to use propane and watch trim but havent yet

short term trim will fluctuate when the engine is running so that is not a problem unless it is going way high say around +20. Can you do this for me please, start the engine and let it idle, see what the long term trim is, then hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if the long term trim drops to 0? If it does let off of the gas pedal and see how long it takes for the long trim to change and does it go high or low?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i was a mechanic for 41 yrs dont trust hearing that much any more. too bad last 30 yrs mostly diesel .i tried your test but iam a chicken dash tach went to 5000 rpm i backed off held at 5000 trim stayed at 6% both banks before test idled at bank 1 3.1% bank2 0.0% when i let off bank 1 0.0% bank2 -2.3%

The rev limiter should have kicked in around 2800 rpms. I am sorry I did not think yours would over rev.

Are those readings the short term or long term trim?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
long term

Do you have a supper chip or something along those lines for added performance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i just got truck havent even had on road accept to try to get it im ready but as far as i know it is stock

Is the engine at full operating temp? If not please start the engine and hold it at 2000 rpms for 3 minutes and see what the coolant temp is according tot he computer please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when i did test i started at 175 normal is 200

So your temp sensor will go up to 200? Normal operating temp is 210 for this engine. Will the temp get up to 210 and stay right around there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when i hold at 2000rpm temp on tool goes to 208 and drifts back to 205 and holds return to idle it goes to 199. i can feel a skip when a t 2000 rpm

does your scan tool show live miss fire data?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i would have to say no if if does i dont see it or reconise it

Have you replace the map sensor? If so what brand did you use?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i havent replaced it was wondering what it should read is reading 10hg

Do you know what the berometric pressure is there now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no idea but it clear was low humidity

Can you look up your local weather and see if they have it listed? The berometric pressure can change the readings for the map and mass air flow, so to make sure we have the correct readings i need to know what it is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
30.14 now

And on your scan tool does it show bero pressure as well as map sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it might but i just got iy and havent looked for it

Can you tell me what the map sensor reading is with the engine running as well as with the engine not running please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
key on engine off and cold 28.1 engine running and warm 10.0

Is that voltage or hg?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hg

With the engine off, the reading should have been closer to 0.0. I would replace it. It may not solve your problem but it does need to be replaced.

Does your scan tool give you any readings on the mass air flow?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but dont know what iam looking at

Can you give me three readings, one at idle, one at 1200, and one at 2000 rpms please for the mass air flow?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i replaced map still reads 26.3 cold not running 10.0 warm idling . maf sensor [lb/min] .738 idle 1.129 at 1200 1.960 at 200

What does the map sensor read with the engine running and the rpms at 2000?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1.960
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry answered to quick will have to get that info
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
8.2 in hg at 2000 rpm

Running those numbers look good. I hate to say it but the next thing you need to do will be a compression test on all 6 cylinders.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to late did it yesterday 140 to 150 all cylinders

Does your scan tool have freeze frame data on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it says that there is but i have yet to figure how to set it up and when i go to it says no data saved

Have you cleared the codes recently? If you have then you will need to drive the truck again till the check engine light comes back on to be able to pull up the freeze frame data.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i got a freeze frame as follows
DTCFRZF PO300
FUELSYS1 CL
FUELSYS2 CL
LOAD_PCT[%] 13.3
ETC[F] 196
SHRTFT1[%] 3.1
LONGFT1[%] 3.9
SHRTFT2[%] 3.9
LONGFT2[%] 2.3
MAP[INHG] 11.8
RPM[MIN] 1731
VSS[MPH] 47
MAF[LB/MIN] 2.653
TP[%] 6.3
I also found article where tech had vertical play in distributor which caused random skip so i replaced that too

If you turn everything off that makes noise, with the engine running hit the brakes and tell me if you hear a hissssssing noise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not trusting my hearing i got my son out there he says no hiss

Do you have a air temp sensor in the rubber boot from the mass air flow to the throttle body?

Have you replaced the pcv valve? Is the spring in the housing? Is the oring on the bottom if the pcv valve?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to temp sensor. yes to both pvc questions

Pull the sensor out of the hose and then look at the short term trim and see if the numbers change. Make sure to run the engine to full operating temp , take a reading, then pull the sensor out and see what the numbers do please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
long and short trim goes way up
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
right around 6 to 7

Do yolu have a can of good carb cleaner such as gumout?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have carb cleaner seems to work not brand name

With the sensor out mist some over the top of the hole and see what the trim does please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
trim goes to 0.0 pretty quick

OK lets check the throttle body. Reconnect the temp sensor back into the rubber hose. Spray carb cleaner around the throttle lever where the cable connects. If it drops the trim, Look where the cable connects to the lever on the side of the throttle body. See if you can move the lever up and down , side to side, or forward and back wards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
very little change

How little and did the throttle shaft have any play in it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no play trim always moving you would probably say no real change

You have to still have a vacuum leak some where. Remove the vacuum lines one at a time and plug the intake port off and see if the trim comes down?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i spent considerable time today trying to find a vacuum leak. no success . did a search again on random skip found a few people mentioning unpluging mass air sensor and skip going away so i tried it. as long as maf is disconnected truck dosent seem to set p0300 code. like to know your thought on thiss

With the mass air unplugged what are your trim readings?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they get high like 8 to10

I am not asking you to clean it but have you cleaned the mass air flow and if so what did you use?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i havent cleaned it i looked at it when replacing air filter saw nothing wrong just reassembled but once again have no history on truck

Do you have any contact cleaner, or mass air flow cleaner? If not your local auto parts store will have a can. Use it to clean the mass air flow and let it dry for at least 2 hour before you plug it back in and start the truck. See if that helps any at all.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am back cleaned maf no change replaced maf no change i have one question i know computer controls timing but this engine readings on scan tool look high 16 to 20 at idle goes to 41 when reved . i also built a smoker still dont see any vacuum leaks
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 months ago.

There are two more tests that should be done a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. Can you do either one of these? I am sorry but have had a bad day, and will not be much help to you tonight. Can we work on this tomorrow?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i did a compression test a couple of weeks ago for this problem, all cylinders 140 to150

What codes do you have now? How much have you driven the truck sence the p0300 code was set?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
since i have been working on this truck i am on my third tank of gas if distance is important i can ck mileage since reject sticker. get petty bad mpg

Has it set any other codes other then the p0300?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing i didnt cause

So you have not had any other p030? codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no cyl codes one person who looked at it with a better tool said it appeared as 4 and 6 had most misses

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no

Please forgive me, but I have had a bad day, and not sure what good I would be to you tonight, can we work on this tomorrow?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no problem my ceiling goes from blue to black pretty some

Thank you. will chat with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
checking to see if you recovered. i still have the timing question probably because i am running out of ideas when i worked on trucks you never saw that much advance my subaru which is all i have to compare numbers to idles at 12 degrees and it goes high when it accelerates it levels back off when rpms are steady .i get the feeling i am missing something right in front of me

Have you had the distributor out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i replaced it was told couldnt have up and down play my original did

How did you reinstall it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
marked old one installed new in same position i had code prior to change but dont know if distributor was installed right before

Let me post the directions to install the distributor correctly for you. Be right back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am having minor email problems today so it may slow my reponses

Not a problem. I will have you the directions and diagrams soon.

Lets see if this will help you. You have to set the crank on top dead center, with the number 1 cylinder on a compression stroke, so you will need to pull the number one plug out. then line up the marks in the diagram below for the distributor and drop it in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
been a lot of rain lately but i finally got distributor out and back in pretty sure its installed right still get code i am out of ideas anything you can think of would be welcome

Please refresh my memory, do you have a scan tool that will give you live data and miss fire data?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have live data but no miss fire data i had someone else hook to it they did say the count on 4 and 6 were highest.the lowest cyl on the compression test was 4 at140

I hate to say it but you may have a bad exhaust valve on cylinder 4.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i decided might not be wise to tear engine apart without more evidence this time when i did compression ck i used battery charger on it it was hot when i started didnt go back to recheck #6 it was the first one
#1=150
#2=150
#3=150
#4=150
#5=150
#6=160
i would like to have more evidence of engine failure this engine only has 133382 miles of what i can think of being wrong a valve job would be the cheapest . i know someone with a better scan tool if i can get hold of them is there any things i might look for we did and injector test before but i will do it again if you would like some numbers let me know

When you did this comp test did you have all the plugs out at the same time or just do one at a time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all plugs were out and i double ckd any cyl that was low to make sure i had good seal on gauge.i think 6 was high because it was hot but i didnt think high would matter

The best way to check the valves would be to bring each cylinder up to tdc with both valves closed and add compressed air into the cylinder and see if you hear the air leaking out the intake or the exhaust manifolds. This way you know for sure what is going on. You will need to regulate the pressure to about 30 lbs .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi
iam back first i rechecked #6 cyl cold still a little high maybe 5lbs then i ck each cyl on the compression stroke as close to tdc as i could determine couldnt hear leaks was using a small compressor not much volume so i left it hooked to each cyl for a couple of minutes couldnt see any drop in pressure. any other ideas.

Do you have it all back together so it will start and run? If so can you recheck the vacuum and see what kind of pressure you are getting at idle as well as at 1200 rpms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
at idle it is just over 18 and steady at 1200 right at 20 this gauge is old so i had hooked it to my subaru it read 20

The only thing I can think of is the valves need to be readjusted. You should have around 2 on this engine at idle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am confused went out removed valve cover didnt find what i expected so old proverb if all else fails read the instructions my book says valves not adjustable. any thoughts

You are correct. they are not adjustable on this year model. I am sorry. Did the inside look good and clean or did it have a lot of carbon build up in the tops of the heads?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
almost like new could wipe clean

Can you plug off the brake booster line and see if the vacuum is stable and up around 20-25 please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no change in vacuum with line to power booster plugged

Can you check the pcv valve and make sure the oring is good around it and the spring is in the holder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have the line to the pvc plugged the lin from the valve cover to the top of the throttle body disconnected and throttle body side plugged so crank case vents to air

What does the seal around the map sensor look like?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you had me replace it before dont like design but seems okay i have also capped line to evap

Please give me just a couple of minutes and I will call you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
looks like rain here going to pack up be out for hour

I will do some more digging in the mean time. This one is driving me crazy so I know it is you too.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi just checking to see if you had any new ideas i replaced spider assy so we know it is not injectors

Can you send me a couple of pics of the intake and all of the vacuum lines please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will give it a shot but its all black on black and iam no photograher

The best you can do is all I can ask for.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is an experiment see if it works

I am sorry, I just found your question. I can see all 4 pics, but the last one is very blurry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not a lot there its the line to the trucks accessories plugged with my vacuum gauge.would like to add that all the things that have been done have changed some numbers and now ihave to drive truck like 10 miles to get light before it would come on in a mile or 2 long term fuel trim is normally 0.0 to 3 and vacuum has changed from 17 to 18 inches.the only numbers that look off to me is timing at an idle engine warm is 17 to 20 and map sensor maybe a little high .i was going tocompare map readings to my subaru iam out in the country and my elevation is at least 300 ft higher than closes weather station

All the numbers look good. What is the map reading? At idle the timing should read about what you have posted. I have even seen it up around 22-28.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my map reading is 26.9 enigine off 13.0 idling. my subaru is 28.4 engine off 10.0 running

Do you have a bero reading for each?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
wouldnt the bero reading be key on engine off

It should change with the engine running.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am confused that is why i gave you engine running and engine off

The map readings and bero readings are two different readings. The map readings are for vacuum, and the bero readings are for air pressure. Does your scan tool show both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my map only shows hg in my maf shows pressure lb/min

So your scanner does not have a bero reading then. How does the truck run now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this truck runs pretty good there is a little vibration at idle but no stumble on accel plenty of power not very good fuel mileage but if i could get a sticker i wouldnt worry about it

Are you getting any codes now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
po300

And that is the only code? How much have you driven it sense the last time the codes where cleared?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
last time i drove it it toke about 10 miles before light flashed its clear right now i could go drive it and get and exact milage

Can you fell it start to miss?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not normally

Do you think you can get it to start flashing the check engine light again? Can you keep the engine running the same as it is when the light starts flashing and keep it that way so the light keeps flashing for a longer time? If you can, then it should be able to give you a po300? code and we can see for sure what cylinder is missing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i cant get it to keep flashing it toke 11 miles to get it to flash sometimes i get it to flash about 2000 rpms but nothing consistent it getting low on fuel and i dont dare drive it tonight with expired sticker i try tomorrow

OK. I hate to say it but we need to know what all codes will set, and you have to drive it to get the to set. Try driving up a steep hill so the engine is under a good load.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi i have put 67 miles on truck since last reset climbed hills still only show p0300 light is on solid now but sometimes when climbing hills will start to flash not always and not all the way up the hill where to now
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 month ago.

Can you put it into gear and hold the brakes really good with your left foot, and rev the engine up a little bit till you get the light to start flashing, and hold it there for a couple of minutes to see if it will set another code?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi cant seem to get light to flash holding brake and throttle but as i said it wont always flash climbing hill one steep hill probably a mile long 300 to 400 ft elevation change the very last 100 ft only time it flashed another itflashed at start of hill then went back solid another it didnt flash at all
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 month ago.

The problem has to be in the ignition system, plug, wire cap or rotor button. One of them is breaking down.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi since ive had this problem it has had 4 dist caps 3 rotors a set of wires plus i screwed up one wire taking it on and off i also replaced the coil my ohm meter sucks i could try testing them but always get screwed results i also removed ignition module ckd for arcing cleaned and reinstalled with new dielectric when i replaced dist it was complete knowing this which direction would you head first
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 month ago.

What brand cap and rotor button are you using?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi the fist one was a store brand still had problem so i got an a/c delco on line still had problem the one that is on it now is the one that came with dist
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 month ago.

Do you still have the ac delco cap and rotor button?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you think i should go back to it
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 1 month ago.

It can not hurt. I would just to make sure it is not in he cap or rotor button.