Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Radio locker, It came with the truck, I just got it from

Customer Question

Radio locker
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: It came with the truck, I just got it from dealership
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 03 yukon slt
JA: What year is your GM?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: From an online forum i found that holding preset buttons 2 and 3 to get the 1st three digits of the radio code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Holding the presets didn't work
Category: GMC
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

There are certain years that is applicable, but it is not applicable to yours. IF the radio is locked, then it REQUIRES a dealer level Tech2 scan tool to unlock it

FROM GM SERVICE MANUAL:

2003 GMC Truck Yukon 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T

RADIO UNLOCK PROCEDURE

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle or a new GM audio unit

The DIM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.