xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  car expert!

Security light wont turn off I've replaced the battery fuel

Customer Question

Security light wont turn off I've replaced the battery fuel pump and fuel pump fuse
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: Stay solid and no i dont know how to
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 1998 gmc sonoma
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would hope to fix it myself so i can drive my truck agian. I've replaced the battery fuel pump and fuel pump fuse
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that i can think off
Category: GMC
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried a 30 minute security relearn?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No i haven't i dont know what that is vut im at work right now can we continue tomorrow?
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 2 months ago.

yes let me know when you are available today

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What would i need for the system relearn?
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 2 months ago.

a fully charged battery and a 30 min cycle

The learn procedure is as follows:

Turn the lock cylinder all the way to the crank mode so the magnet on the lock cylinder can travel pass the Pass Lock sensor. Now let go of the key so it can return to the run position. The 5 Volt line will now be pulled to a value below 5 volts and the security light may begin to start flashing or just remain on solid. Some vehicles may start up and stall or may not crank at all. You must leave the ignition key on for 10 minutes and place a battery charger on the battery if needed in case the battery is low on charge. After 10 minutes you will see the security light go out or just stop flashing and then go out. At this point you turn the key off for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds you turn the lock cylinder to the crank position again to repeat the same process .You must perform this process 3 times for a total of 30 minutes of wait time. On your 4th attempt the vehicle should start up and continue to run.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It didnt work what else could i do?
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 2 months ago.

sometimes you need to do it a few times..if not likley the key switch aassembly failed