Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  i am a red seal mechanic with 40 years of experience
10251524

2006 gmc pick up. multiple dtc codes 15 of them

Customer Question

Category: GMC
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
truck goes in 1st gear and shifts into 4th at about 4000 rpms. completely skipping 2nd and third.. TC lockup kicks in normally. tow (O.D.) button does nothing. manually shifting up or down, does nothing. here is the kicker.
ive got 15 codes. most of wich repeat 3 times.
all P's
054
442
036
054
141
442
036
054
141
300
442
036
054
442
036
all engine codes. i clead codes and disconnected battery. going out now to test drive and see if it made a difference. i'll let ta know in about 10 minutes
01 August 2016 09:43
ok i test drove it and the p0036 and p0141 came back. 4 times each for a total of 8 codes
still driving 1rst to 4th and transmission was just rebuilt a month ago
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there my name is don

i will try to help you

do you know if they reprogrammed the computer for the transmission ?

also how soon after the rebuild did this happen

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not know if they did anything to the computer after the rebuild the transmission was rebuilt about 1 month ago and this just started about three weeks after the rebuild
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there thanks for that information

you transmission should be under warranty for at least 1 year it sounds like the it might have lost some programming or the linkage may have moved that controls the shifting

i would give the place a call that rebuilt the transmission

and have them take a look at it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm the one who rebuilt . And I can rebuild a 4L60E in my sleep. (Not supposed to sound sarcastic).I was hoping to confirm that it was something wrong with the computer and not the transmission I can't think of anything that I've missed I have never had this kind of issue before where it goes in limp mode without showing any transmission codes and any time I ran into issues with this many codes in the past it's always been at the computer but I needed a second opinion cuz I'm really bad at Diagnostics
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there thanks for that great information it is a electronic transmission and i believe that it has lost some programming

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what are my options I don't do a lot with computers should I replace the PCM should I just take it to a dealer and have it reprogrammed I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there sorry had to work late

first i would make sure that the linkage on the side of the transmission is lined up at the marks

if that does not cure the problem you will have to put the transmission scanner on it and see what codes comes up

i have had to reprogram the pcm on a couple

let me know how you make pout

Don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
two more follow ups
1. what marks are you talking about on the shift linkage
2. customer took truck to another trans tech and they said it was something wrong with the second gear clutch pack.
what in the second gear clutch pack could i have missed that would cause limp mode
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there where the shiftier linkage attaches to the side of the transmission there are alignment marks for the et transmissions you must line up the marks for it to select the proper gear

it is a electronic failure not the clutch pack

i do not believe i believe you when you say that you have rebuilt several transmissions

there is a three coil (solenoid ) pack inside of the transmission it could be one of those shot

the also tell the pcm to shift

don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't believe you just called me a liar I have rebuilt lots of these 4L60E there no solenoid pack in there there are separate solenoids to me a solenoid pack is like what you see on a five or 55w or all the solenoids are in one pack with one plug harness I would like a new technician one that's not going to call me a liar
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
these are individual solenoids (circled) and these are what i have in my transmission
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NOT a solenoid pack. if there is a misunderstanding i apologize but at least im not calling you a liar
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there sorry i think you mis uderstood me i was not calling you a liar at all was trying as you are to solve the problem

i know there are 3 solenoids in there and i call them a pack

i reference i was agreeing with you when i said i do not believe that it was a mechanical fault , there should have been a comma between the two sentances sorr for the confusion

don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Holy crap it's amazing what one little comma placement can do.... I just reread it. hope you can forgive me for snapping.
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there hey no problem

i read it over my self as well as my wife and she agreed that the format was wrong

we are all professionals and i would never intentionally call any one a liar

have a great night

Don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You as well. Thank you
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

your very welcome

please let me know w hat you find out

you know i have been a Canadian journeyman mechanic for over 40 years and everyday is a new learning experience that is what i like about this trade

Just Answer or pearl if you will is a school in a away we get to help people from all walks of life from no experience to an expert like your self . But in turn we also learn from the people posting the questions from things we have not seen before or something we ran into long ago and forgot about it. If i tell you i know everything about mechanics i would be lying to you, There is always something new or an explanation by a customer that has triggered some memories of how the fix was done long ago

in my work history i have gone from old points ,generators,steam, and 6 wire systems to electronics, scanners computers,sensors,self driving cars and trucks, analog to digital, and so on.

the diagnostics on the new tech gets complicated sometimes with all the added electronics but we must all remember that the basic engine design and power train have not changed much from when it was designed back at the turn of the century .

one thing i did learn that all the computers and sensors only monitor perimeters lets say an a scale of 1-10 (example only ) it does not tell you that a mechanical fault has occurred such as a water pump bearing , piston coming through the block a universal joint failing and so on it just measures pressure loss or fluid loss over heating or electronic failure that is not within the perimeter set by the sensor

As you probably know we did have this way back when with the form of gauges and what we used to refer to as idiot lights

thanks for your reply and have yourself a great sunday

best regards

Don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i myself have been wrenching for over 35 years and i only started rebuilding transmissions five years ago. i am excellent in tearing things aparat and putting them back together. like a puzzle. its just my diagnostic skills really suck. mostly because in the last five years i keep running into things i have never ran into before.. but the mechanical im good at. like a chess player can remember every move he ever made in every game ever played. i can remember every part i installed for the last three transmissions i rebuilt (just a knack)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ill keep you posted
cheers
thom
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well it turns out it was the overdrive band metal to metal I just rebuilt this transmission a month or so ago what would cause an overdrive band to be metal-to-metal so quickly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Put in a new overdrive band I put in a new drum went to the entire transmission as long as I had it out no water damage anywhere else put it back together test drove it it drove beautiful for about 2 or 3 miles then it went right back into limp mode I can hear a little VZZZZT kinda noise for about half a second when it shifts from first into 4th. If I pull it out again and find out that that band is drunk again what could be the problem
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

Hi there

By any chance do they pull a trailer ?

i was wondering if it pulled a heavy trailer in O.D. mode

did the solenoids test out ok ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Solenoids all tested good I volt tested them and ohm tested them
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That was supposed to say there was no other damage not water damage anyway after putting it all back together it drove fine for about 2 or 3 miles then it started going back into limp mode and I pretty much went through the entire transmission again I even replace the serval thinking maybe it was stuck in the bar or something I did notice that it would not go into torque converter lock-up even when it did run good for the first few miles
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there sorry sir i am at a loss now do not know automatics as well as you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just out of curiosity what a bad neutral safety switch or range selector cause this issue because I'm pretty sure that it's bad
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

Hi there my feeling would be the range selector by gut feeling

never seen a neutral switch cause this before

let me know please

don

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not know why but I decided to pull the transmission out and go through it again all I did was test drive it about 1 mile and when I pulled it out this morning the overdrive band was metal to metal again after 1 mile I know you've pretty much given up on this but any idea at all what would cause this if not that's okay I was going to open up another thread with a different technician I'm sure your brain is about as frazzled on this as mine is
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

hi there thanks for that information

it seems strange that it only takes 1 mile to disintegrate

i will ask around to my buddy who does this all the time like you

he might have come across this before

don

Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

ell over christmas I lost my overdrive. One the truck shifts into 4th (OD) it basically goes to neutral. After doing some research on the site I found that this problem is not unheard of. Symptoms are; No over drive, just shift right into neutral; no engine braking when shifted into 2nd; and if you turn off O/D then you can drive normal with the first three gears.

I dropped the trans pan and there was nothing in it. I dropped the valve body and thats where I found the problem. The overdrive servo retaining clip snap and lodged itself into a valve in the valve body. I have bought the new clip but I have not reassembled everything. Will update when complete.

Here is the valve body removed and where I found the first broken piece

does this help

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Who's going to pull the valve body apart tomorrow anyway so I will keep you posted thanks again for your patience
Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

Mark from Gearstar went on, “The TV cable is the only communication between the engine and transmission, and perfect alignment of the TV cable is critical for proper operation.” If the cable becomes loose or out of adjustment, the car will experience relatively early shifts across the range of throttle position and no kick-down passing gear.

Things to remember when maintaining a performance transmission:

• Keep your transmission fluid level full and clean
  • Run a high-capacity pan
  • Install a transmission cooler
  • Replace your filter/screen with an OEM unit
  • Never substitute rubber hoses for metal vacuum lines

When you reinstall or adjust a TV cable, you must always make sure it isn’t too far out of adjustment, especially on the loose side. Otherwise, it will trigger a safety feature inside the transmission that will spike line pressure as to slip the clutch, which could ultimately damage the clutch packs due to the insufficient line pressure rise. This condition normally occurs if the TV cable becomes disconnected from the carburetor or throttle body.

Unfortunately, the TV cable is usually attached to the throttle body or carburetor with a clip-on plastic fastener, and overtime, the underhood heat from the engine will degrade the fastener, causing it to break. However, this doesn’t apply to everyone since they are sometimes fitted with a metal unit. In the event that the TV cable should ever fail, you can still pick up a quality replacement from the dealership or an aftermarket parts source.

If your 700R4 refuses to upshift, then it’s most likely due in part to a failed governor. Made from a combination of plastic and nylon, the gear-driven governor can eventually break off from wear overtime, resulting in a loss of upshifting. A replacement unit can be found at your local transmission shop.

Other issues with the 700R4 include the loss of the second, fourth (overdrive), and reverse gears. While many of us would write this off as a burnt transmission, it’s more than likely just a destroyed 3-4 clutch pack. This can be caused from a misadjusted throttle-pressure cable. It turns out that the 3-4 clutch pack in the factory configuration is the weakest link in the 700R4.

A common issue we see are failed band servos in the 700R4. This is usually stems from a low or dirty transmission fluid level. -J.C. Beattie

Mark, Scott, and J.C all pointed out that inadequate line pressure due to an under-adjusted TV cable will ruin both the third- and fourth-gears quickly. Walk continued, that whether or not that the transmission in question had already received a fresh overhaul or has over 100k miles under its belt, proper adjustment of this cable is absolutely crucial.

The final fault with the 700R4 is a non-functioning overdrive gear. If yours refuses to shift into overdrive, but operates perfectly from 1-3, it’s highly recommended that you get it home or to your local transmission shop quickly, but carefully.

When this occurs, the input spring is more than likely destroyed, and the only component engaging forward is the overrun clutch, which is totally inadequate to hold engine torque for acceleration.

Expert:  Don replied 7 months ago.

i got that from this site

hope it helps

http://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/diagnosing-gm-transmissions/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i think you posted that last info to the wrong thread. i have the 4l60e. not the 700r4