Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

My power lift gate will not stay open even after I replaced

Customer Question

my power lift gate will not stay open even after I replaced the struts
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: that has nothing to do with my issue
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2012 yukon denali
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: can i speak with a real person
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: GMC
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I can help you, first of all did you add anything to you tail gate ? eg; deflector etc. if no modifications, are the new struts OME original factory replacement parts? if so and still same problem we have encountered that same problem as well with other models and there was an updated or improved replacement part, ask the dealer if they have an up dated part number for them. it may be a problem the manufacturer is working on , another potability is to locate an after market supplier that may carry heavier ones. It's the gas charge in them that is supposed to lift it so if they originally did work if you haven't added things to the tail gate they should in theory work. but go that extra rout and check for updates and stronger ones. Hope this helps let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I used OME parts when I replaced two struts and there have been no modifications. I got the part number from the dealer.It didn't hold at all before I replaced them but now it holds for a couple seconds and then goes back down. I don't think it's a faulty replacement part but rather something else. There is a third strut that is connected to the gear mechanism inside the body. I did not replace that one because I don't believe it is load bearing and should not have any effect on lifting the door. Is that correct or should I replace that one as well.

let me get back to you on that will investigate

sorry I feel a little brain froze, didn't read your problem fully as you stated it was a power lift gate. my apologies. the problem is in the lift assembly as the struts are just an assist . yes that may have to be replaced . we have the same set up in our larger trucks as well and that's where the problem was the motor would operate to open and close but wouldn't stay in the fully open position. hope this helps.

just wondering if that helped your problem?