sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2012 gmc terrain and 2014 silverado. both vehicles are

Customer Question

2012 gmc terrain and 2014 silverado. both vehicles are getting broken into to with the alarm on and doors locked, I would like to know where the receiver is to the door locks and I want to cut the wire that when I use the key fob would turn off alarm but would not open the door and when I lock the car it would lock and set alarm, for me to get in I would have to use the key after I turn off alarm but still be able to lock and unlock from the in car switch, so the only thing that would not work is the unlock from key fob.
Category: GMC
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Each of these vehicles do have separate keyless entry receivers but I'm not sure they work the way you were hoping. You can unplug the receiver in either instance to disable keyless entry functions, but there isn't a way to still have keyless entry operable without it disarming and arming security. If you disconnected the receivers the you would lose all keyless entry functions entirely. Is this what you were wanting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can't I just cut the wire to operate the solenoid to unlock and leave the wire to lock, I thought the solenoid had two wires lock on and lock off and the solenoid was ground

There isn't a separate wire for lock and unlock, power lock actuators are push/pull drivers where polarity is changed on two wires to operate the lock solenoid in either direction.