Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were

Customer Question

Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were flashing. Stopped - no crank start in neutral. Put it in park, and theft lock light lights up - no crank start. Cannot shift either
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: first time this happened today..haven't got it started yet
JA: Welcome! What's going on with your GM?
Customer: Envoy died while driving - lost power - dash lights were flashing. Stopped - no crank start in neutral. Put it in park, and theft lock light lights up - no crank start. Cannot shift either
JA: What year is your Envoy?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried the process to reset the anti-theft / passlock - whatever you call it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: where I leave key on for 10 minutes, shut off for 30 seconds, back to on for 10, etc repeat 4 times
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like a bad alternator, have you tried charging the battery or jump starting it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1) there is no crank 2) trans locked in park 3) padlock icon on dash comes on and flashes

Yes, this will happen when the alternator is not charging and the voltage hgets low, have you tried jumping it or charging the battery?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no - voltage was registering ok before it died while driving..will try to jump - but have had dead batteries with truck before and didnt cause passlock or tranny lock

These will, let me know if it cranks when jumping it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Updating this for the record. The issue was the ignition switch module. About 1/2 hour further research on the Passlock error and confirmed that was the cause. $40 part and a few minutes of time.