Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

I HAVE A 1992 C1500 5.7 IT HAS A REAL BAD IDLE AT START UP

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1992 C1500 5.7 IT HAS A REAL BAD IDLE AT START UP AND WHEN I TURN THE AC ON IT SHUTS OFF SOME TIMES AND WHEN I DISCONNECT THE TIMING PLUG IT RUNS PERFECT. THIS ALL STARTED ABOUT A YEAR AGO WHEN MY CONTROL MODULE IN THE DISTRIBUTOR WENT OUT AND I REPLACE IT WITH AN AC DELCO BUT IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 260000, 5.7
JA: What is the model of your '258000 GM?
Customer: 1992 C1500 SILVERADO
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: WHEN I BOUGHT THE TRUCK THE PREVIOUS OWNER REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS, WIRES AND THE TIMING CHAIN I HAVE SINCE CHANGE THE EGR, MAP, EGR SOLINOID, CAP AND ROTOR AND ALSO THE IAC AND COIL PICK UP
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: OH AND MY SES LIGHT WAS COMING ON CODE 13 02 SENSOR BUT SINCE I REPLACED MY CATYLITIC COVERTER THAT FIXED THAT PROBLEM AND SOMETIMES WHEN I TURN THE HEADLIGHTS ON OR TURN THE AC ON IT IDLES BAD
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The common cause for the type of problem you are having if the engine runs good with the timing connector un plugged is usually a bad distributor pick up. Some rebuilt distributors have a different style pick-up coil than the original. These types may cause a start/stall or driveability problem. For best results, rebuild the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) distributor with a new distributor shaft and pick-up coil. New distributor shafts have a strong magnet which will create the maximum output from the pick-up coil.
You can check this with the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Distributor%20JUl%2021.pdf