Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

With OnStar disconnected in a GMC, is the GPS in the vehicle

Customer Question

With OnStar disconnected in a GMC, is the GPS in the vehicle still able to identify the exact location of the SUV (GMC).
We do security seminars and this question came up again this morning and we cannot get a straight answer from a dealer.
Please advise as soon as possible.
THank you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 4 months ago.

GPS antenna is still hooked up if you really want no gps just unplug it.

give me a minute and ill get you a connector view. this is also the XM antenna however so you may have to snip a wire if you want one and not the other

round 2 pin connector, it can vary based on vehicle build so shoot me a vin if you need, I can't copy the connector view because GM is using some dumb new image viewing software, i'll send you a screenshot off my tablet after work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1) the question was, can the exact location of the car be pinpointed with GPS? (with OnStar disconnected). A client is asking us that question because of his personal situation with an X wife. Please be specific. Thank you.2 If the GPS can be easily unplugged (disconnected), where do you disconnect it in a 2016 GMC Acadia?3) If the GPS is "unplugged" does it only affect the Navigation and XM radio, or does it affect other things as well?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have access to our client's vin #. I do know, this is a 2016, GMC Acadia (Denali). If you could answer my previous text, that may gie us the information we need to get to our client.

thats all it will affect, you will have a red x through the gps if you got it, it unplugs under the headliner in the very rear center, there is a couple wires, disconnect the 2 pin connector. If the nav is still working right now then yes you could get the location to about 15 feet assuming his x works for the NSA. What did you do to disable onstar?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a GMC dealer disabled the OnStar. They charged our client 1 hour labor to do this.

vv4 u2k ubs ue1, these are the possible RPOs for what we are working on, if you get his vin you can have any GM parts dept print you the rpo list let me know which ones you have and i can get you a specific picture. They likely just pulled the infotainment fuse. But if he is worried about it the antenna will take care of GPS and cellular.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan, what does RPO stand for?

regular production options, the build list of the vehicle ie. how its equipped, should be a 2 pin connector either way but its good to check, but really just pop down the headliner unplug one drive outside and see if your gps is inoperative if so good if not unplug the other plug.

I'm sure I'll have one in for a bit tomorrow I'll pop down the headliner and take a picture of it for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, Ryan, how can I reach you later today?

just message here I'll leave it open

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan, I have a snapshot of what we see when we pull down the headliner. Do you have an email I can forwad that to and you can tell me if that center plug is the one to unplug????Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
or better yet, a cell # where I can text the photo to. I have the photo on my cell phone
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan - I just sent Email. By the way, your follow up is perfect. WOW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
did u receive the photo, Ryan?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, Ryan - can you email me a photo of exactly what we are to disconnect under the antenna.
And, also, does the headliner unsnap and re-snap in place easily.Thank you, ***** *****

Yes it snaps in it doesn't need to be removed completely just pulled down slightly i'm stall waiting for the car to arrive, but its two coax wires in one connector connector should be purple in color

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, Ryan-I am emailing you another photo. Let me know as soon as possible if this is it????And, again, thank you so much.

i sent a picture to your e-mail, i couldn't upload xps here

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the photo I sent was that of a green color and it seems that it could easily be unplugged.I don't understand the drawing you sent. What is (1) and what is (2)? I don't see anything like that at all??? Please help.

terminal 1 and 2, that is what the connector should look like.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan, if we can locate the terminal one and 2, do we disconnect BOTH of those terminals?
Also, do you know what color those terminals would be in the 2016 Acadia GMC?

they are coaxial wire, should be large black and coated. possibly grey and an uncoated wire, will depend on RPO which we don't know. Sorry this clown bringing in his today has not showed up yet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1) DO I DISCONNECT BOTH 1 and 2???? (ASSUMING I FIND IT)
2) excuse my total ignorance but what does coaxial mean?

remember the old cords you used to use to plug in a VCR or a NES to your TV. the ones that threaded on. That type of large shielded cable is coaxial, these are about half the diameter of that but the same type of cable. and 1&2 disconnect together so yah both off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, Ryan, thank ou. Just out of curiosity, what city are you located in??????? Your follow up and professionalism is top-notch!!!!

Missoula, MT. I live out of town hence my poor response time during non business hours sorry about that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I love that area...very close to Coeur d'Alene and Sandpointe - - 2 gorgeous areas, as is your neck of the woods. God's country, indeed, my friend.

Definitely, I live towards Coeur d'Alene on the river

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan - OK I found a connection which seems to be right under the antenna. There is a larger black cable which appears to have a gold insert. It is a black cable with a very thin orange stripe running through it. Right next to that cable is a thin wire.Should I just YANK those out and pray that is it for my friend?????????
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello and good morning, Ryan - if you could respond to the last email I sent you I would surely appreciate that so much.
Thank you.

unplug them then drive the vehicle outside and bring up the navigation display and see if there is a red x through the GPS symbol, if so you got it. I did not see a picture if you sent one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK Ryan. But first I am re-emailing that photo to your email address...just to make sure. I am doing that right now, Ryan.
Thank youc.

that should be it I cant quite see the connector but you will not hurt anything unplugging it so disconnect it and see if its off. Once its unplugged we can probably see the connector better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't seem to unplug it. What if I just YANKED it out?Also, my client asked me if simply putting aluminum foil over the roof antenna would STOP a GPS signal??? (I never thought of that)

no it won't with any consistency parking inside can disrupt it though. the plug should be about 8" from where it goes into the antenna

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't seem to "unplug" it. there is a "purple" like connector just behind where these 2 cables (1 much larger wire than the other).Is it OK to just "YANK" these connections lose?

no it won't with any consistency parking inside can disrupt it though. the plug should be about 8" from where it goes into the antenna. yah try the purple one first and see if its off

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That first photo I sent you showed a GREEN connector. I finally managed to unplug that nd the automatic door locks stopped working. I plugged it back in and they work fine. This other port I am referring to which has a PURPLE connection port is just to the left of that green one, BUT I CAN'T PULL IT LOSE???? Can you advise me what to do to disconnect it? This sounds like what we have been looking for.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That headliner is really in the way. I have to hold it down while trying to get my head up in there. If that headliner would come completely off, this would be a whole bunch easier.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ryan.. Can you give me any suggestions re: the following. This darn headliner is really in the way. That first photo I sent you showed a GREEN connector. I finally managed to unplug that nd the automatic door locks stopped working. I plugged it back in and they work fine. This other port I am referring to which has a PURPLE connection port is just to the left of that green one, BUT I CAN'T PULL IT LOSE???? Can you advise me what to do to disconnect it? This sounds like what we have been looking for

It should have a little lock tab, instead of squeezing one side to release it you can lift up the little lock with a pic or small screwdriver, you can see what the lock should look like in that picture i sent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, as soon as my client arrives (any minute) we'll try that. Thank you for the very quick response, Ryan.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan - I just sent you a photo which I think is in fact the cable I need to pull out to disconnect the GPS. I managed to finally free it from attachment so I could take this photo. PLEASE PLEASE let me know right away. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was sent to your Email, my friend..

yep that looks like the one

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Again, Ryan, your service is impeccable! Thank you.

No problem let me know if when you get it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan it didn't work when I disconnected it, PLUS I even disconnected the connection with the purple insert and the Nav still works. HELP! I just sent you an email showing you the photos of the 2 connectors we just connected. (but the Nav still works, as does XM radio)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 connectors we just DISCONNECTED, I meant

can you send me the VIN if your at the car, i was running on assumed RPO codes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1GKKVTKD9GJ273006

you have the different options than what I was looking at so yours will have a different antenna,remove the radio cover it just prys off using a plastic flat bladed tool, then remove the two screws from the flasher plate and remove it then remove the 2 screws holding the radio in, once its out you will see to coax connectors on the radio, with the key on remove them one at a time and see which one kills your gps.

I would say unplug it at the antenna for this one too but it is buried so its easier at the radio.

on the rear one of the plugs will give you xm back and leave the other apart to disable cellular

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1). Is this something a novice like myself can easily do, Ryan?
2). With the 2 connectors unplugged in the rear I still have XM. Everything in the car seems to still be working. I wonder what I disabled?????

so one was the cellular wire, the other was probably not related to the antenna, yah you can do this just use a flat plastic tool to pop that piece off around the radio then its only 4 screws, they have 7mm heads. so plug back in the green connector and leave the large cable disconnected,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I have the radio out...no problem. Now, what do I disconnect to stop the GPS from working????????? Thanks, Ryan.

there are two wires that are one wire connectors, SI doesn't show me the differance but just unplug one and leave the rest in and test it then do the same with the other

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan-do these connectors go right INTO the back of the radio????????????Can you phone me at(###) ###-#### please?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan I just sent you an email showing the wiring going into the back of the radio, and also into the bac of the flasher plate. WHICHDO I DISCOINNECT TO DISABLE the GS from the 2016 Acadia. Please get back with me as soon as possible and/or email or respond here with your phone number. I would gladly pay you additional monies to get this resolved. Please.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning, Ryan - did you get a chance to look at the photos I sent last evening to your Email? I'd really like to get this completed this morning (nd I know you would to). Thank you, Ryan.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ryan you have always been so faithful in communicating back to me. Can you please answer my last email so we can get this completed today? Thank you, Ryan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, Ryan - could you please get back with me today re the following: Ryan I just sent you an email showing the wiring going into the back of the radio, and also into the bac of the flasher plate. WHICHDO I DISCOINNECT TO DISABLE the GS from the 2016 Acadia. Please get back with me as soon as possible and/or email or respond here with your phone number. I would gladly pay you additional monies to get this resolved. Please.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi again, Ryan. Ryan, could you please get back with us today regarding disconnecting the GPS antenna in the 2016 GMC Acadia, Vin # 1GKKVTKD9GJ273006 .
Are you certain the disconnect is to be done behind the radio? And, if so, what exactly do we disconnect? (I sent you emails of the photos so you could easily tell us what to disconnect).
Thank you, Ryan. (I haven't heard from you in a couple days. I hope all is OK with you and your family).
God Bless.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan here are the photos from behind the audio .. ..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Ryan - could I please hear from you re: completing the disconnection of the GPS? Thank you, Ryan.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ryan you were always so darn good at getting back with me. What happened? I am not hearing from you. Please communicate with me, and, as always, thank you for your attention.