Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali and spilled my water bottle

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali and spilled my water bottle on the front leather seat. The next day the "service air bag system" light went on only when I sat down in the driver seat. Is there a sensor under the driver seat that could have gone bad when it got wet? Thanks
JA: Which sensor are you asking about? O2? MAP? Did any codes pop up?
Customer: no code came up and it is the driver side seat.
JA: What is the model of your '08 GMC?
Customer: Yukon Denali
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I want to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the light goes off if I lift myself up off the driver seat so I know it is a sensor in the driver seat. Could it have gone bad if it got wet when I spilled my water bottle?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** there is a seat position sensor under the drivers seat, and if it got wet, it can damage it, are you planning on fixing this your self?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to fix it myself what do you recommend.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

first have the airbag codes read, if it has a code for the drivers seat position sensor, then replace it and clear the codes, below is a diagram showing the location of the sensor,Tim

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I don't have a code reader do you suggest I take it to the dealer to get fixed?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

most parts houses can scan this for free, our local autozone and oriellys does, so you will have to check with yours,Tim

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Neither one in the Phoenix market have readers for service air bags. They all have suggested I go to the dealer and I am trying to avoid that.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 months ago.

any independant shop can scan the air bag module, and they would be cheaper,Tim