Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  have owned a repair shop for 25 years
14541291

I have a 2003 Sierra denali Quadrasteer pick up. Ran great

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Sierra denali Quadrasteer pick up. Ran great and had bad tranny. 165k miles. Just had tranny rebuilt last week, few days passed only put about 300 miles on it. Stepped on the gas to merge on the highway and check engine light started flashing. Pulled over it stayed flashing. Shut it down and waited like 10 minutes. Started right back up and ran and drove fine. But everytime I step on it or accelerate a little on the heavy side it will flash the check engine light. Brought it to OReilly and code scanned it. Bad o2 sensors. Had them all replaced and still having the e sane issues. I'm completely stuck. Also had brand new MAF sensor put in.
JA: What happens when you step on the gas? Do you notice a rough idle?
Customer: Slight rough idle, everytime I get on the gas check engine will flash alot, sounds bad, not wanna accelerate well at all, and will get very bad MPG.
JA: What is the model of your '03 GM?
Customer: Sierra pick up, with Quadrasteer, and 6.0l engine with a rebuilt 4l65e transmission with less then 400 miles on it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced all o2 sensors in exhaust, MAF sensor, checked all connections and, good fuel pressure, I have a fuel pressure gauge installed to monitor it inside my truck
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Had the PCM/ computer in the truck flashed to all factory settings
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

most times when the engine light flashes like this,it indicates a bad or damaged catalyst converter

also,most times will store a p0300 miss fire code

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yep I have the p0300 code

ok..

have you tuned it up?new plugs and wires?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
New plugs, wires, MAF sensor, all new o2 sensors

ok,,i would think you need a new catalyst converter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok

most muffler shops can do a half way decent test on these

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I plan to have the cats test. If they check out fine what else would cause it?

i would think you have a bad one

there isnt allot that will cause this on this truck,,other than the tune up,the catalyst and rarely the crank sensor

stand by,,i will give you some tests/checks for the 300 code

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has a studder when accelerating at all times. U can hear it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds good

i would think it is a clogged catlyst causing too much back pressure

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1dsfig6zchp009/0718-denali-P0300.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/v1dsfig6zchp009/0718-denali-P0300.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help