Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Been to the gm dealer 3 times, they say they can't duplicate

Customer Question

Been to the gm dealer 3 times, they say they can't duplicate the ticking/exhaust leak sound I sometimes hear,one says detonation, another say use high octane gas,hope you can help me.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? What color is the fluid?
Customer: No fluid, it sounds like an exhaust leak/ticking sound
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2011/5.3/1500 2wd gmc
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it to the dealer and they say it can't be duplicated,do they have a service bulletin on this GMC?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No,I like the truck,in fact the best truck I ever had.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

What grade of engine oil are you using? It could be a lifter tick, this is common on your engine. You can run a thicker oil in the summer and the noise will go away.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5w30 with an ac delco oil filter, I tried some Berryman combustion cleaning kit, could it be spark plugs, PVC va
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Whoud a synthetic oil hep?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I dont think either spark plugs or a pcv valve would cause a tick. Have you check your exhaust manifold studs? sometimes they will break off causing a tick. There will also be black residue on the head if it has an exhaust leak.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated.

If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and how I can help you more.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan