Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.

My 1996 Geo prizm will not crank. Clutch has to be depressed

Customer Question

My 1996 Geo prizm will not crank. Clutch has to be depressed to start but it will not turn over ,even with clutch depressed, and a buzzing noise comes from the fuse box. The noise will continue while switch us on on position or off and won't stop until battery cable is removed from battery post. For 1day I would start by coasting downhill and jump starting but it will not crank now, like it is getting no fire.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. It sounds like the battery is bad or has a low charge. It could be a bad connection at or after the battery as well. Have you checked the battery voltage? If so, what is it at?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just put alternator on two weeks ago. At that time battery checked OK per O'reilys auto. Haven't checked now, car won't start to drive there, I am on the side of the road and hope to be able to fix so I don't have to TOW in to fix. I am retired and on fixed income and need to repair today. Can I use a volt meter(I am a retired builder) and know a little about repairing auto's.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Ok, good. YES, you can use a voltmeter to check the battery voltage. You are going to need to start there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My car is I on the other side of town. My sister is gone to church and will take me there when she returns at about 1:00. I guess I set the meter on DC and see if it reads 12 volts?? Right? Or what are the volt limits I'm looking for?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you see this response?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

YES, set your voltmeter to the 20 volt DC scale. A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. I'll get back with you later with results. ..
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good. Your welcome!