sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Why do i lose air conditioning in my van?

Customer Question

why do i lose air conditioning in my van?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model of this vehicle as well as engine size?

Can you also tell me what exactly is occuring here with this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I HAVE EXPLAINED ALL THE ABOVE 3 TIMES ALREADY. DO YOU WANT ME TO START OVER AGAIN???

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

If you dont mind as all I see above is "why do i lose air conditioning in my van?".There is no other info posted above.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

i do not think its you. it seems i have to input info 2 or 3 times when asking questions. so,

1991 vandura 2500 gmc. v-6 4.2 liter engine.

i lose ac when accelarating or when going uphill or when pulling heavy load. ac returns when this isnot happening.

what is wrong??

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

No problem.

This is due to a loss of vacuum.When there is a loss of vacuum the doors can close or act up on the heater box closing off ac ouput.Check the vacuum hoses on the engine for any cracks or breaks.You should have one that goes in through the firewall from the engine to the dash,this one feeds the doors on the heater box.Make sure this vacuum line is o.k.

If all vacuum lines are found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

ok. i will check tomorrow and get back with you. tks

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

No problem.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

yesterday my ac quit altogether. the fan would also not come on,. i pulled doghouse off engine and found one vaccum line bad and fixed. i then turned on ignition and fan came on showing it works. i cranked engine and turned on ac. compressor and fan did not come on. i also saw the heat control switch (between radiator and firewall slowly dripping.

why has ac and fan quit working??? checked fuses and all ok.

what next??

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

If the heat switchover switch is leaking it will need repaired and this will cause issues with the ac not operating at its best but wont cause the issue with the ac compressor not engaging.

Have you checked for any blown fuses that may need replaced to correct this here?

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I apologize as I see you did check fuses

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Did the ac compressor quit after you removed the dog house?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

no, ac quit yesterday on the road. i will replace heat switch over switch but what can i do to get compressor working again.??

why did fan come on with ignition only but not with engine running?? sounds electrical??

checked all fuses. all ok. there is NO vaccum line from engine to dash. this is a van an it has doghouse.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is this the heater/ac blower fan that only comes on with the key on but not with the engine running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

yes. but now does not come on anymore. there is only one heater fan. fan runs both heat and ac.

I NEED YOUR HELP TO FIX AC. LETS FORGET HEATER RIGHT NOW. NEED AC FIXED. WHAT NEXT?

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Since it comes on with the key on but not with the engine running this may be the ignition switch at fault.Unfortunately I do not have any diagrams to tell you how to test this here myself.The ignition switch will need tested to see if one or more signals out of this switch are faulty with the switch needing replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

NEED HELP GETTING ac compressor to come on.

what next to fix compressor, ???

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

yes, still need help. why is my compressor not coming on??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

yes

Have you checked static pressure in the system?