virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

Oh I started my 2011 gmc duramax and the service diesel

Customer Question

Oh hello. I started my 2011 gmc duramax and the service diesel exhaust fluid soon light came on with the check engine light.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No on everything.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model of your '11 Chevy?
Customer: GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.6 liter diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. I'm in the sticks. Was headed to town.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: From what I read bi can add DEF AND it should reset. Is that correct.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So you can try to add def fluid and it may reset. But more then likely it won't if the CEL (check engine light) came on. But if you get me the codes I can be of more help.Let me know what you find or if you have any questions.Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I added DEF the Cel went out but the def light is still on and says service exhaust fluid system.
You will likely have to drive it for several miles for it to go out if it was just low.
Let me know what happens. If it doesn't tho, we will need the codes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how many miles on your vehicle? The bad news is it's most likely the def tank. It will need replaced. But it needs a professional scan tool to make sure.
But the code is for Reductant Heater A Control Circuit/Open
The heater is bad. And the only way to replace it is with the whole tank.
But it's covered under Emmisions warrenty if you still have it. Hence wanting the miles.Let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you should be covered under Emmisions warrenty. I can help you more but I think if it's free why not have them do it. Up to you. Let me know what you want to do and I'll continue to assist.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dropped it off at the dealer today. Thank you.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Is there anything else I can do to help you?If not and I've helped to your satisfaction would you mind positively rating my help and hitting submit?Thank you very much,
Did my advice help? If so, can you give my advice a positive rating? But if you still need help please let me know.Thanks