Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

I filled the DEF tank and the low DEF message won't clear.

Customer Question

I filled the DEF tank and the low DEF message won't clear. Now it's saying Action Required, fill DEF tank or speed will be limited to 65. I'm traveling and it's the weekend. Truck is 2016 Duramax.
JA: What is the model of your '16 GMC?
Customer: 2500 SLE Duramax
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Traveling with no access to dealership. I have tried starting, stopping, setting overnight, it just keep saying I'm empty. I put 5.6 gallons at a def pump 2 days ago. I'm down to 154 miles before speed is limited. I'm 400 miles from home.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Everything else is fully operational and operating perfectly.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that's it...Hoping I can reset so I'm not speed limited and don't have a message flashing at me for 8 hours.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You will need to have any fault codes set from the dpf being low cleared out with a compatible scan tool.Then if that doesnt work then a reductant fluid quality test has to be ran with a compatible scan tool.This will reset this message here.Unfortunately this occurs some of the time and this has to be done to clear the message you see.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete