Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My air conditioner works off and on and is cool but keeps

Customer Question

My air conditioner works off and on and is cool but keeps cutting out unless on the expressway at higher spedds and when slowing down cuts out. It is fully charged and no leaks, what to do?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the GMC Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: yes, all good!
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2012 63,000 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the pressure in the unit itself and it is at the ideal level for the air temperature as indicated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

have you checked Freon level ?if you on freon it will do that in stop and go traffic ,but it want on freeway ?

Please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

what is the low side gauges showing when a/c running ? are you running 20 to 50 psi on the low ?

what is the high side gauge showing when running are pass the 150 175 psi on the high side ?

if you rev it up while a/c running and at idle what happens to both pressures ?

are fans kick in at all times

from what you describing sound like a restriction that is evident at idle , when you go down the road the a/c compressor will have more flow and push thru the restriction