Amedee, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist

Having an issue with my 95 jimmy.. it ran rough and missed

Customer Question

having an issue with my 95 jimmy.. it ran rough and missed when cold.. when it warmed up it cleaned up. however now it doesn't run at all. replaced the coolant switch, the coil, and oxy. sensor still no fire
JA: Have you inspected the hoses? Have you checked the radiator fluid?
Customer: the v-6 is a rust bucket of a motor. however how would that prevent the engine from running...even when I put a new coolant switch in.
JA: What year is your Jimmy?
Customer: 95
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: as stated above... new coolant switch, new coil, new oxy sensor before the cat. put new cap and cleaned up rotor on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only the issue of how it ran before it died. when cold it ran poorly, when it warmed up it ran ok however sometimes it wouldn't re-start when warm and I had to wait before it ran again. I thought a coil going bad could maybe manifest these conditions but it's not so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! Are you saying that the engine does not have spark while cranking? It just cranks over and does not start? Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
vin# *****
Just checked spark out of new coil. could see it pretty clearly. A little harder at the plug. Looked weak. I've tried to start it priming it with fuel and ether... no luck. I'm beginning to think it jumped time but that doesn't explain the early symtoms. Is there some relay in the ignition circuit that can mess me up?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! If the engine has spark, fuel and compression, it should start and run.

Lets say the engine is missing fuel.. but it still has spark. It should start and run on starting fluid. Hands down.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have to find another pair of hands to make sure I have a cam turning
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have a cam turning, now that it's a little darker out I have intermittent spark... will tear the cap apart and make sure I have good parts in there.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good! You might just have a bad cap/rotor.. it might just be that simple..

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Another possible cause is a bad pickup inside the distributor and or a bad ignition module.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im going to give the ignition module a replabe the mod. yes?ced the cap rotor and no luck. With the weird spark pattern it almost has to be the module no?
Throwing in the towel for the day.. I'll be thrashing tomorrow. thanks for the help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!