Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 Years Diagnostic and repair,Electrical specialist

I'm shopping work truck. I've seen 2that I like, a

Customer Question

I'm shopping for a work truck.
I've seen 2that I like, a 2007 Nissan Titan with 140,000 miles, looks decent but no maintenance records.
The second one is a GMC Sierra 1500 SLE with Z71 4-4 off road package that has 145,000 miles but has been well taken care of, it has extensive maintenance records. It does have what I think is a valve ticking noise.
Do you have any thoughts that makes get heldp?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Hello, what year is the GMc? and what engine? do you know? are prices close to one another?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The GMC is a 2002. I know it's an 8 cylinder but have no specifics on the engine. The GMC is about $1500 under the price of the Nissan
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Is the Titan a crew cab and 4x4?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not a 4 by 4, it has the extended cab with back seats and the back doors are the ones that you have to open the front doors to get to the handles
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I be worried about the clicking noise that GMC has?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** type up some information, I took your post as oddly I own and drive a 2008 Titan and my wife drives the 2008 Chevy silverado PU. So I own both you are looking at and we use them for general contracting business and landscaping so I know each very well,. back shortly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Ok, first, the Titan, Now mine is the true crew cab 4 door with 6ft bed and 4x4. I love this truck, I have about 192K on it and no engine or trans problems to date, Only a wheel bearing going bad, I find it to have too many bells/whistles for my line of work but what a great truck this has been. The GMC? well its a GM, It will be overall cheaper to repair, easier to repair, the Nissan is expensive to maintain.The GMC is a nice truck, yes it is older but you have full records. My wife loves hers with zero problems to date. My concern? you say a ticking souynd, NO way for me to say what that is. Could be minor, could be a big problem coming. I dont even want to gueass, But doing this line of work for nearly 35 years? i always tell my customers, please have a second party do a bumper to bumper inspect prior to purchase, This wa a technician can listen and judge as to things like the noise etc. Me? I would buy a Titan in a heartbeat but darn, our GM truck is also real good, You would be getting 4x4, I think? a longer bed and the v8 engine it has has proven to be solid, so,, I have to say, if a seller does not allow one to have a shop do a checkover before purchase? I tend to shy away from the deal, If this can not be done on either? I would buy the Tiatan, I think it hold higher value, it is newer, I can speak for it overall BUT you have records on the other, Its kind of a draw.I honestly do not think you would go wrong with one vs the other. I have not and own both. I just do not like the ticking you speak of and yes? that is a yellow flag in my opinion at this stage of things, It really needs to be listen by a shop/technician to help in your decision

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

BTW: I am open to help with any questions you may have and will try and answer the best i can not being there