rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 AWD that I am having issues

Customer Question

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 AWD that I am having issues with. After the Transmission warms up when I do slow parking lot turns there is alot of clunking and jerking. Same turn is fine while trans is cool. I have added some additive in the rear differential thinking that would help but it has not.
Category: GMC
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would pull off the diff cover and do an inspection of the gears and and wear or play.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok probably will not get to that until the weekend. Can you give me an estimate on how much a shop may charge to rebuild if that is the problem. Also any idea on much fluid and a recommendation of what fluid to put back in if that does not appear to be the issue.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

I don't have all that information in my database currently, but the gears should be about $400.00. The diagnostics should be a minimum of one hour. The cost is dependent upon their hourly rate.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I guess I am looking for more on why it is fine while cold and then when the trans get up in temp (90-100) I start having the issue. I don't think that sounds like worn or damaged gears. Again only during parking lot turns all other times it is fine.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.
I still would do the inspection. We need to start some where.