Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

I have an '88 GMC one ton dually. I was having a slight

Customer Question

I have an '88 GMC one ton dually. I was having a slight hesitation problem. I saw I was overdo for a tune up. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I went to fire up the truck and it would start fine, run for ten to fifteen seconds and shut off. I had not changed the fuel pump in about six years, so I dropped the tank and replaced it. The same problem.
Can you help me with some new ideas? I was thinking the fuel pump relay perhaps?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. If you can check each one of these thing and see which one you are loosing when it dies on you and post back with the results I will see if I can help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ron,
I tested a couple of things and had continued problems with the engine shutting off. I narrowed it down to the distributor. I pulled it and found it was worn out and the pick ups were out of whack, I put in a new distributor and it is running great. I would like to add that yesterday I saw the coil wire was laying on top of the dist signal wires. I re-routed it and the truck ran, but it did not stay running for long. I took the loom apart to check for a broken wire, but did not find one. That's when I zeroed in on the distributor. It had 232,000 miles on it. It should be worn out.
Sorry I didn't use you more.
Thanks,
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Wayne, there where known issue with the distributor pick falling apart as they got older. Glad to here you got it resolved and thank you as well.