Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

When I come to an abrupt stop at a stop sign and

Customer Question

When I come to an abrupt stop at a stop sign and simultaneously take my foot off the brake immediate after the stop there is a thumping noise which comes from either under the vehicle or in the rear. It's as though there is an object behind the read seats which flies forward with the stop
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears? What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: only happens immediated after lifting foot off of pedal after stopping quickly
JA: What year is your GMC?
Customer: GMC YUKON 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I HAVE only made inquieries on the web to learn if there is an explanation as to why this is occurring
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it. When I leave my foot on the brake pedal there is not thump. But sometimes if I move forward afterwards there is a thump
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 7 months ago.

have you checked the drive shaft joints and the rear yoke at the differential for play?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, what should I be looking for on the drive shaft joints and the rear yoke at the differential
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 7 months ago.

I would check for play in the universal joints or binding.. I would also see if the yoke n the rear end free spins excessive back lash