Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.

I replaced the Jimmy body on my 98 jimmy and installed a 99

Customer Question

I replaced the Jimmy body on my 98 jimmy and installed a 99 pick up body, I used all wiring harness's in the change, everything works. My problem is engine starts but when key is released to run position it will not run and security light stays on.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, first things first. The security light. Is it on also when cranking the engine? If so, can you try another key?

Do you have a code reader or scan tool to retrieve codes? If so, do so.

Now, about the not continuing to run. Check if these fuses have voltage with the key on just run. The ECM 1 fuse which powers the fuel injectors and the crank sensor, vcm, as well as the ignition control module and the ignition coil.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the Engine Performance Circuits, can I assume the wiring harness for the engine, etc is from the Jimmy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will have to get back to you. I am not at the truck now. The engine harness and all wiring is out of gmc jimmy.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.