virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I have been searching with a 2007 GMS Denali with the oil

Customer Question

I have been searching for problems with a 2007 GMS Denali with the oil pressure low - please turn engine off message. My mechanic has tried everything including replacing the oil pump which was quite costly and it's still doing same thing :( He said I will need to get a new engine - but how can it be the engine when it is purring like a kitten! I've been reading about the camshaft and mentioned it to him and his response was "if the cam bearings are out then you have to rebuild the motor - and yes that's probably what is wrong with your truck." Is he right about having to rebuild the motor to try this fix?
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: Oil pump was just replaced last week. I can't remember if the check engine light came on when I got that message. I immediately turned it off and had it towed to his shop.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - we know nothing in the world about this but am questioning my local mechanic's advice on this and I am desperate to get my car back up and running. I can't afford a new motor and he's more or less like - junk it - sell it for parts? It's a beautiful 2007 black Yukon xl denali that we have taken very good care of. How can this happen?
JA: OK! The GMC Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the GMC Mechanic should know about your GMC?
Customer: I've read on some sites about the message about the "stabilitrak..." when their happened to their car. Well, actually my car has been getting that message since I bought it in 2008 with 45,000 miles on it. It's only truly caused a problem two times in all these years where it actually shut off going down the highway when that was the message. Otherwise, it always happens whenever it decides to - makes my check engine light come on to where I can't start my car with electric start but other than that, it's never caused any problems with us driving the car. Does this even have any connection to my oil problem I am now having? Other than that, I love my car and I just want it back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So I'm assuming the oil pressure sensor was replaced already. I don't see that it was listed as replaced tho.
Also has an oil pressure test been done?
If so what was the reading on the gauge?
Finally here is something I have seen several times, under the oil pressure sensor, in the same hole it threads into, is a conical shaped screen. It gets clogged and will give a low oil pressure reading. Clean it and your problem might go away.
If your engine purrs and doesn't make any knocking noise my money would be on this as the problem.Let me know so I can continue to help.Thanks
All of the ones I've done, that had this exact problem, I'd pull the screen out and they look clean to me. But if spray them down with brake cleaner and reinstall and the problem would be gone.Just a thought for you
Does this information help you? Or do you still require help?Thanks

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Do you still require help?