Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic

2008 gmc savanna turn the key will not crank new battery and

Customer Question

2008 gmc savanna turn the key will not crank new battery and starter when turning key it makes clicking noise
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Tried both positions , wheel don't know.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I turn key sounds like dead or weak battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New starter battery is good.
JA: Is there anything else the GMC Mechanic should be aware of about your GMC?
Customer: Sometimes it will start, but now it does not want to.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

So it sounds like the starter solenoid is clicking or like a relay is clicking?

How do you know the battery is good? Do you have a voltmeter? If so, what is the voltage of the battery with both the key off and the key on start? It must remain above 9.6 volts in order to power the starter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wrote in the battery is new also the van will sometimes start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

It sound sto me as though you have a loose connection or possibly just a bad/failing starter relay. I would try that first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Brought battery to advance auto Checked out per ficklely. No issues such power is going to starter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Check for voltage to the "strtr sol" fuse #64 in the underhood fuse block when the key is turned to start. It should have voltage. If not, try a new crank relay #73 in that same fuse block.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.