Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the Automotive repair business.
7276279

My sunroof was opened today in the vent position and now it

Customer Question

My sunroof was opened today in the vent position and now it will not close. The power is there because you can hear the gears moving. The window will not even pull back all the way
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: There is a piece on the track that you can see move if you look from above and push the button on both sides. Seems to be the mechanism that pushes the vent open and close and also pulls the window all the way back
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can. If not I wouldn't have a problem bringing it in
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: Knock in wood that's the only issue at this time. The suv is an '04 and I haven't had any issues with the sunroof yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you can hear the motor running then you likely have a problem with the track assembly and or the mechanism but In order to be able to try and help you with your sun roof concern we are going to need to know what your working on, need tk know the make and model of your 2004. If you can post back with this information I will see if I can help you determine the cause and help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gmc envoy xl 2004
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you for that. so is the problem with the sun roof that it will not close completely or is it that is will not open ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The sunroof was opened in the vent position and when tried to close it will not close. The sunroof will not even drop down and slide back into a completely opened position. There is a flat metal mechanism that runs along the track that moves back and forth equally on both sides. Seems that this controls the opening and closing but it is not opening or closing
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Before you do anything , lets try to run the Initialization Procedure. See the steps to do this in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Int%20May%2025.pdf