Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a GMC Yukon 2001 5.3Lt SLT, I have this truck years

Customer Question

I have a GMC Yukon 2001 5.3Lt SLT, I have this truck for 7 years now and prior there was 1 owner. The truck is well maintained oil changes regularly and tuneup's and belts are change when needed. Recently I noticed a loud roaring sound from the engine(I believe) my mechanic said it is normal but I'm still worried...should I be?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.
Hi there.Any noise that wasn't there before should not be there now, nor considered normal.To eliminate the fan and clutch as the source of the roaring sound, have your mechanic temporarily remove the fan belt. If the noise is not there with belt removed, check the fan and clutch for correct installation and/or early engagement (stuck/defective clutch). Repair or replace as necessary.Please let me know if you have any other questions.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you believe it's still the fan clutch?
Based on the way you describe hearing a "roaring sound". I can't think of anything else that would make that kind of sound. However, do have your mechanic take the belt out first to confirm if indeed it is the fan or the clutch making that sound.