Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

GMC Sierra SLE: 2005 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L 205K miles. Q: I

Customer Question

2005 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L 205K miles. Q: I somehow zeroed out the total engine hours reading which was over 5000 hrs. How do I get this value back?? Also, how do I add in the hours now reading since the zero-out?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Unfortunately the only way to get this back is by a dealer reprogramming your vehicles instrument cluster using their Tech 2 scan tool and their GM computer.In some cases they will have to send off the instrument cluster to their repair facility to have it reprogrammed as this is sometimes the only facility that can do this due to law on tampering with the instrument clusters hours and mileage.I wish I had better news on this here.A dealer will usually charge about an hours labor to do this and the repair facility can range up around $200 or more in some cases if they have to do this. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete