Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra. The SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and

Customer Question

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra. The SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK have come on. I am trying to reset them according to the Owner Manual, but I also get TRACTION CONTROL OFF. How do I turn the Traction Control back on?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GMC. The GMC Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The check engine light came on recently, and I cleaned the air sensor and the light temporarily went out. Then it came back on and the stabilitrac and traction control lights came on. I don't recall doing anything unusual to cause them to come on. I tried to follow the instructions in the owners manual, but I can't turn the stabilitrak back on.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I prefer to try if it is something that I can correct myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GMC Mechanic should know about your GMC?
Customer: It has 114,000 plus miles and I have not had any major repairs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GMC Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
hello, most likely the issue is not with the traction system but with the throttle body or acceleration sensor, you will have to get the codes read and see what they are for me to be able to advise better as to a probable cause, you can have a local parts store do the code check they do it for free the only issue is you have to make sure the check engine light is on or else the scanner they use cannot pick up the codes. hope this helps. Lou P.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
Richard did you make any progress on the truck? please let me know if you need more assistance. Lou P.