Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GMC sierra: I HAVE A 1989 GMC 3/4 TON WITH A 350 ENGINE. WHEN

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1989 GMC 3/4 TON WITH A 350 ENGINE. WHEN I AM GOING AROUND 50 TO 60 MILE AN HOUR SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE THE TRUCK IS GOING TO SHAKE APART. I PUT NEW TIRES ON AND HAD THEM BALANCE BUT IT DID NOT STOP THE SHAKING. IF I BRAKE AND SLOW DOWN AND THE SPEED BACK UP THE SHAKING WILL STOP FOR AWHILE. IT ALSO FEELS LIKE I AM LOSING POWER WHEN IT DOES THIS.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Does the shaking feel like it is in the steering wheel or in the seat?Automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, its not the steering, it is kind of hard to tell where it is coming from. It wont do it all the time. It is a automatic trans. When it starts to shake it can get pretty intense though and if I brke kind of hard it will go away for a while.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I would check would be the drive shaft carrier. This truck is long enough that it needs a carrier halfway down the truck to hold the drive shaft up. I would make sure the bearing and mount in that carrier are in good shape before anything else.